An odd one???

Shout here if you need any help!
Maybe you need a plan - just shout
PaulJ

An odd one???

Post by PaulJ »

A problem has become apparent with my new Simprop conversion (detailed elsewhere on the forum). The conversion uses this Orange DSMX/DSM2 Tx Module...... https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx-ds ... s_products
...... and one of Phil's 7 channel encoders. For testing on the bench I used an Orange 8 channel RX and 7 servos and it all worked just as it should. The Tx bound to the Rx with all the beeps and flashing leds just as they should be. I switched it all off, went back to it later, switched all back on and all was still as it should be. Then I decided to range and then flight test it using the foamie electric Junior which uses 3 channels of an and elderly but reliable and much flown Orange receiver. Range was good (50+mtrs on low power) so I flew it straight away without switching it off......... All was fine with no problems. 'Landed and switched Tx and Rx off but when I switched it on again nothing happened. It appeared to have lost the bind so I rebound it and all was fine but every time I switch the transmitter off, it loses the bind. I tried it on the bench again with the 8 channel Rx and it keeps the bind after switching off and on again. I tried the Junior with a different transmitter and that receiver too remained bound after switching off and on again...... What's going on, why does the transmitter lose binding with one receiver but not with the other??? :?
F2B

Re: An odd one???

Post by F2B »

I'm not sure about what's actually happening, but I found a similar behaviour when using my Orange RX module Mk1 (in a JR X-388S) and alternately flying my indoor helis.
One is the Blade MCPX v2, the other the Blade Nano CPX.
When changing from one to the other I always have to bind again.
Not a big problem, but odd to say the least.
F2B or not to be....
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

It might be possible that one of your receivers is a DSMX and the other is a DSM2. If you bind with a DSM2 rx and shut the transmitter of, then power it up again, the tx might start in DSMX instead of DSM2 and therefore the bind to the DSM2 rx is lost, you have to rebind it.
You can avoid it by using only DSMX rx.

Cheers
Frank
Martin

Post by Martin »

You can set the Tx module to always work DSM2. From memory, you want one flash of the LED to give 22ms DSM2, but check your instruction leaflet/manual. You swap between the four available modes by three short presses on the bind button. Once the mode is set, it is retained even when the module is powered off.

Most DSMX receivers will bind with DSM2 transmitters and work in DSM2 mode. This allows you to use a mix of DSM2 and DSMX receivers without rebinding or changing anything, although you won't then be using the DSMX receivers at their full potential.

I like to use DMSX receivers in their DSMX mode, so on modern transmitters that allow model names, I incorporate the mode (number of flashes on the module LED) into the name - so the model names are like "Pulstar_1" and "Sharkface_3". Then when changing models, I can set the Orange Tx module to the correct number of LED flashes built into the name, and I don't have to rebind.

On transmitters without model names, you could do the same with a label attached to each model, or a label with a list of models attached to the transmitter, or just a list that you keep in your car or model toolbox.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Many thanks gentlemen for your responses and I have to say I thought you must be right...... a DSMX/DSM2 issue. The led on the module was on steady which is supposed to mean "Auto", ie. that it decides for itself which protocol to use. However I manually put it into both modes and the problem persists. The receiver binds in both DSMX and DSM2 mode but as soon as you switch off the bind is lost. :( 'Faulty Tx module perhaps? :?
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

This is how it works as you don't have "model match" with just a 2.4 GHz Spectrum module unfortunately so DSMX becomes dominant at the expense of DSM2 losing the bind. Can only second Frank & Phil, do not mix modes.
Cheers,

Tobe
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Hmm.... I have converted something like 27 transmitters now, all with Orange DSMX/DSM2 modules of one kind or another. I have flown all the transmitters with different models/receivers and I have never had this problem before. Phil, you said.....

"Crucially there is only one memory store for the capabilities and if you bind a receiver with different capabilities, the first one is overwritten, necessitating a rebind when reverting to the 'overwritten' rx. "

But after binding, the problem is occurring when I just swich off and straight away switch on again with the same receiver..... :? I think it is almost certainly a DSMX/DSM2 problem but having successfully bound to a given receiver, surely it should stay bound to that receiver until you bind it to something else?

Paul