Old FF models to be re-purposed as 'new' S/C models

Free flight and rubber powered models
Wayne_H

Old FF models to be re-purposed as 'new' S/C models

Post by Wayne_H »

I was ferreting around in the storage unit last week - ended up bringing back some assorted boxes of modelling stuff from storage along with the building supplies I was after. Turned out to be a real bonus as they contained some 'temporarily misplaced'(?) FF models that having been rediscovered, are now earmarked for conversion to S/C :D

KK Senator
I acquired this one about 10 years ago from a modelling mate in a swap deal, he having obtained it prior in yet another swap deal. It needs some minor repairs and serious re-straightening (the fin looks more like a propeller :o ) but should make a lovely calm weather S/C electric model.
KK Senator
KK Senator
Tomboy
Acquired this one some years back from the widow of a good mate. Originally it was obtained minus the tail plane, but all I found this time was the fuselage :cry: . Coincidentally, I also found the wing from a Frog Tutor that my cousin had built in the 60's. He used Tarzan's Grip glue and knew nothing about dope & a sanding block, but it still managed to go OOS before being found some 12km away - we didn't know about DTs either :? . It will need quite a bit of work to finish/restore. In reality, it's probably quicker (and better) to build a new wing from scratch, but there is significant nostalgia around this particular model. BUT, it does fit straight onto the Tomboy, so short term, all I have to build is a tail plane. When I find the Tomboy's wing, then I can build the rest of the Tutor. Sweet!!
Tomboy fuse with Tutor wing
Tomboy fuse with Tutor wing
OD P-30
This is a v-tail P-30 design my son & I developed and built in the mid-late 1990's. Covered in light weight laminating film, at the time it caused several FF purists to gasp :o . The model didn't know any better, so it still flew very well :lol: , so should fly just as well as a nostalgia S/C model 8-) . I'll mod this one slightly to e-power & include a small 'cabin'/pylon that will contain the radio gear.
ah_p30l2.jpg
ah_p30h1.jpg
More as the conversions progress.
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Sundancer

Re: Old FF models to be re-purposed as 'new' S/C models

Post by Sundancer »

Nice to give new life to old models Wayne. When I first looked at the photo of the Tomboy I was convinced that it was a Paageboy wing as I remmebered the Tutor as being square tipped - faulty memory I was thinking of the later Frog Nimrod, looking at the Tutor plan I see it is a Tutor wing - how fortunate it fits so well, and at 39 inches it is between the two Tomboy wings (36/44) so should work well.