Pontefract July 31/August 1st 2021

Events and news
Twitcher

Pontefract July 31/August 1st 2021

Post by Twitcher »

Shaun and Phil: Wow! If there's a better nostalgia event anywhere on this Planet Earth, I'd like to know where! Fantastic, amazing, brilliant - there just aren't enough superlatives to cover it adequately. Saturday was good but almost entirely populated by foamies, and consequently a tad less interesting than Sunday.
Despite a slightly damp West Yorkshire start, it soon dried out and the Nostalgistas began to arrive from all points North and South. I didn't count the models but it was obvious there were as many, if not more, than in previous years. Some great and golden oldies; classic acrobats like the two beautiful "Moonglows", the "Taurus", Pete Christie's fantastic Hirobo "Lama"helicopter (why ever did I go and sell mine?) and many others, too numerous to mention, but I have the photos to drool over at leisure. Great too, to meet again those friends I only ever see at Ponty, a factor which adds hugely to the pleasure of this glorious event.
The only downside -a victim of circumstance I'm sure, having been prevented from travelling by the rules governing this cruel pandemic - was Tobe's absence. But I'm sure you were there in spirit my friend. Let's hope that 2022 is kinder to us all. And thank you for the GG Goodies!
I'm already looking forward to next year and starting to plan the models I'll build for the occasion. As always, there were inspirational, novel exemplars from the likes of Mark Dean's "Bombay" and Colin's "Velivole", and I'm already thinking "whacky control-liner conversions" like my "Tea Trolley" (a 3 x enlargement of the 12" W/s c/l "Tea Tray") which I nearly brought but didn't on account of space restrictions in the car . . .
And Gary, I look forward to meeting you again soon at Oxford MFC's spiritual home at Port Meadow.
Gentlemen, thank you all for making this a memorably grand weekend, but Sunday most of all.
I'll stop gushing now . . .
Cheers, David L.
PaulJ

Re: Pontefract July 31/August 1st 2021

Post by PaulJ »

I can only echo what David has said and add my own thanks to Shaun, Phil and PANDAS for hosting the event! :P

Paul
Stew

Post by Stew »

Hi all.

I'll add my sincere thanks for an exceptional event, it was a real tonic. These Ponty events are now legendary.

Being on the autistic spectrum, on the day I found I was too shy and reclusive to actually talk to anyone, apart from asking a question on one occasion, but I really did enjoy seeing all the lovely old models. It is quite difficult being out and about around people after so much Covid hassle, but so nice to see people out in the sun enjoying models once again. It made it all the more poignant and reminded me that life goes on, and there is enjoyment to be had.
(I didn't like seeing one chap stop a Mills prop on his finger though, Ow! As someone who bears the scars of a similar nip, I hope he's OK! I'm still wincing now!).
Nice to see the remarkable stability of the Smeed and Boddo models, and the outright mad stuff too, Shaun's lightning was a highlight, and the chap with the great little blue go-jet, as well as Wes Denton's stonking 'space shuttle climb' demonstrations...amazing!

I smiled all the way home.

Thanks all, Looking forward to 2022.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Job done then .. As long as everybody had a great time Phil & I are happy.

Start building for 2022 chaps..👍
GarydNB

Post by GarydNB »

So glad we made the effort (mostly by my long suffering wife). Twice now, we've flown over from Aussie for a Ponty 'do' and two weeks of chugging along at 3mph this time! Wouldn't miss it, made so many friends and Sunday was one of the best, even the weather played the game.
Thanks all involved, long may it continue.
Gary and Angela
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Can I, too, add my thanks to Shaun, Phil and the rest of the PANDAS crew for a superb week-end.

It was a bit breezy for the electric event on Saturday, though I still managed to fly the more controllable (!) models OK, but Sunday - despite the odd shower in the morning - was perfect! Calm conditions for the "oldies", and when the sun came through it started to get noticeably hot! (Though I doubt the Australian contingent would agree! :lol: )

Nice to meet up with old friends again, and make new ones too!

This event seems to go from strength to strength and is the most enjoyable I can recall in several decades of RC modelling.

Long may it continue!

--
Pete
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Guys...
can we see some pictures and reports from Pontefract 2021 both real as replacing virtual events in the same spirit. All of us that weren't there or better, only able to be there on spirit are extremely curious and just waiting to be able to see and hear all the yearly gossips.

....and as a reminders there's a Sweepstake going on

Cheers and all the best

Tobe
Cheers,

Tobe
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Tobe wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 06:24 Guys...
can we see some pictures and reports from Pontefract 2021 both real as replacing virtual events in the same spirit. All of us that weren't there or better, only able to be there on spirit are extremely curious and just waiting to be able to see and hear all the yearly gossips.

....and as a reminders there's a Sweepstake going on

Cheers and all the best

Tobe
I wanted to go, but had a prior commitment at an airshow in Norfolk on 1 August, so please dont keep it a secret, images matter for those who couldnt make it! :)
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

I didn't take my camera this year (1st time in ages!), as the last couple of times I spent far too long looking through the viewfinder, rather than enjoying the event!

Even Shaun looked like he had forgotten his, as he seemed to be using his phone! Phil usually runs around with a video camera, but I didn't notice him doing that either. Perhaps we all had a generic "brain fade" this year!

I did see quite a few folks with decent cameras there, but don't know who most of them were.

I did take this with my phone, just before setting off though:

ImagePonty_2021 by Peter Christy, on Flickr

I should add that the front passenger seat was full of cases, too! (Transmitters, overnight stuff, etc).

Seems even a Volvo estate isn't big enough for a confirmed retrobate...!

:lol:

--
Pete
Stew

Post by Stew »

I really liked that little red mini sub, complete with rubber band escapement! Great to see it fly 'on the button'
The Cox was surprisingly quiet with the muffler. Brilliant little engines those. I had a golden bee many years ago and would love another.