7th Ponty Fly In - Mystery Model

Events and news
Shaun

Re: 7th Ponty Fly In - Mystery Model

Post by Shaun »

That's strange Martin re the incidences. I don't know of any models built so far that needed any modifications from the plan.
Maybe the increased wing area etc has caused this. On mine the balance point is as per plan , no mods to anything and it fly's well. The only trimming needed was a touch of extra down on the motor to stop it zooming on power. I've retrospectively added a further 25% rudder area to help when flying from a small field with a lot of trees but it was perfectly controllable as designed.

Shaun.
smokey125

Post by smokey125 »

Shaun wrote: 22 May 2018, 17:25 From years of flying quads I've personally found that the DAL props are the best. Always balanced, and accurate on pitch, the Gemfan less so. If you can get Bull Nose versions you will have a little more blade area at the tip.
Good luck with the flight.

Shaun.
Shaun, where did you get the DAL props from? Can't seem to find the one your using anywhere!

I get the impression that all of you are testing your motor, esc, prop combinations with a watt meter. Having never built an electric model before this is new to me. Are you just using a basic in line watt meter for this?
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

My Pulstar is ready to go. It´s built according to plan, just the rudder is 5mm deeper. The fuselage is very narrow, inside width is 12mm only, just enough for a 2s500 lipo and a 5g servo.
The AUW is 163g, which is not bad.
Using a 3x4.1 4-blade prop, current draw is 3A on 2s which is about 24W. That should be plenty to fly o.k.
Maiden flight will be next monday. If it´s a good flyer, I will build a second, wider fuselage to accomodate the new GG equipment, Martin just developed. This will be powered by a Cox TeeDee 010.
Pulstar1.JPG
Pulstar2.JPG
Frank
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

As always Frank, a cracking model beautifully finished... :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Shaun
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

[/quote]

Shaun, where did you get the DAL props from? Can't seem to find the one your using anywhere!

I get the impression that all of you are testing your motor, esc, prop combinations with a watt meter. Having never built an electric model before this is new to me. Are you just using a basic in line watt meter for this?
[/quote]

I use an ancient Astro Flight Watt Meter I bought over 20 years ago... They are much cheaper today.

Have a look on Banggood ,

www.banggood.com/G_T_Power-150A-High-Pr ... rehouse=CN

And this one

www.banggood.com/G_T_Power-30A-Lipo-Bat ... rehouse=CN

Just search for DAL Quad props and loads of sellers will come up.

Cheers

Shaun
Last edited by Shaun on 26 May 2018, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Very nice Frank! I always like the black 'anti glare' colour in front of the cockpit - it was standard on things like the de Havilland Chipmunk so that pilots wouldn't be dazzled by the sun reflecting off a shiny motor cowling.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Another nice looking Pulstar Frank. It's been nice to see all the individual finishes on the Pulstars completed so far.

Carl
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
------------------------------------
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

Frank
That is a very nice colour scheme.
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

That looks outstanding Frank.

Mine had it's maiden this morning.
It was stalling badly initially. I tried to fix unsuccessfully with CG changes so I went back to original CG & shimmed the back of the elevator which was much better.

I managed 2 pretty nice flights in the end. It's still not perfect but well flyable & controllable. It'll be even better with a bit more tweaking. The main thing is a bit more right thrust. Great choice of model guys.

Finished the day with a couple of nice flights of the Chatterbox with the Kraft 71.
Top day.

Video to follow later tonight.

Al
Attachments
3smeeds4.jpg
3smeeds3.jpg
3smeeds2.jpg
3 smeeds.jpg
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Video as promised.