Theme for 2019......

Events and news
PaulJ

Theme for 2019......

Post by PaulJ »

I'm sure it won't be long before we start thinking about the theme for next year's event so I would like to get my twopenny worth in early!....... If a specific design is chosen it is quite possible that some people may not want to build that particular model or perhaps have built one before and would prefer to build something different rather than build the same thing again..... So may I suggest that whatever is chosen, please could we have a "generic category" like "Any Vic Smeed design" or "Any Kiel Kraft (or Veron/Mercury/Whatever) design", simply so that we have a choice. You could tighten it up a bit by specifying rudder only and/or a maximum wingspan and/or including a task, like a pylon race or even "slow flying" which would favour a particular style of model......? :P
Phil_G

Re: Theme for 2019......

Post by Phil_G »

This year's theme, the "last-minute" Pulstar, was a great success and loads of fun Image, I think it was Tobes idea - thanks Tobe! The 'theme' is always well supported and its now an established part of the S/C & Retro R/C event, so its great to keep this going with new suggestions like Pauls.

We've not really made use of it yet but Ron's forum can do a 'poll' where forum users can cast a vote, maybe we should make more use of Rons handiwork.
What we could do is collect 'theme' ideas here, make a list, then after a suitable period (couple of months?) when we've eventually run out of ideas, we could create a poll on the forum, so people can vote for their favourite theme.

Lets split Paul's suggestion into two separate ones, 'any design from a specific category', and 'any design from a specific designer' which we can break down further for entry into the poll. We'd need suggestions for a few categories and a few designers.

I also had an idea - just a suggestion mind - I'd been pondering the film "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" as a theme. Cartoon-Antoinettes, cartoon-Demoiselles, and Tony Hancock's canard :D
How about a quick-blip wheel release on Orvil Newton's "Phoenix Flyer" Boxkite? :lol:

So thats three ideas so far, come on, lets hear your suggestions :D

Lets remember its just one slot of many throughout the whole weekend, so lets not get too excited just yet...

Cheers
Phil
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

A few of my thoughts on theme(s) for 2019.
Hold a design and build contest here on Mode-Zero for a "NEW" S/C model. So hopefully a few entries, which are then voted upon by the Mode-Zero inmates.
The winners model is then the theme model for 2019 and Neil would of course be itching to cut vital parts for such a project.....
All but one of us then gets 2 models to attempt to complete before Ponty'19!

Regards
Gordon
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

My thoughts are

1, something that was originally rubber powered but with a max wingspan of 36”

2, something all built up, pin on the plan type and tissue covered. Max wingspan of 36”

3, something with no fuselage, a flying wing but single Channel.

4, small scale single Channel.

5, a design originally built for control line but converted for single Channel.

So there’s a few examples.
Thoughts?

I’m favouring no 5 up to now.

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Ron

You'll have me going round in circles with your 5th suggestion :D

Mike
Martin

Post by Martin »

Control line conversions might be a bit tricky 'on the button' Ron - I can't think of any control line models with dihedral. I suppose it would be possible with some sort of flight controller, as used on multicopters, with an auto-level setting - but that would seem like cheating!

Maybe there are some dihedral control liners? Or we would be allowed to sneak in a little dihedral even though this would be a departure from the original plan? If anyone could fly an aileron, no dihedral, model on the button though, I guess that person would be Ron! :D
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Here you go.

1) I'm sure most modellers have heard of the Ebeneezer style model and it's hundreds of variants - all free flight but will easily convert.
2) Delta or Flying wings - there's plenty of RC and free flight ones to be converted
3) Scale models - There are many published simple scale s/c models and suitable free flight ones that can be converted. Mark (Deans) exemplified this on Sunday with his Concord and Nieuport Baby
4) Autogyros The Boddo Byrace that flew on Sunday on Rudder / throttle was brilliant

No problem adding elevators if you want but keep models under 40" span.

Shaun
Last edited by Shaun on 04 Jun 2018, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Homer Simpson did a lot of flying at this year's event. That suggests an idea for the theme of 'flying fictional characters': such things as Snoopy on his dog house, Otto's Superman, Samantha from 'Bewitched' on her broomstick, and so on...
Last edited by Martin on 04 Jun 2018, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Martin wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 22:59 Control line conversions might be a bit tricky 'on the button' Ron - I can't think of any control line models with dihedral. I suppose it would be possible with some sort of flight controller, as used on multicopters, with an auto-level setting - but that would seem like cheating!

Maybe there are some dihedral control liners? Or we would be allowed to sneak in a little dihedral even though this would be a departure from the original plan? If anyone could fly an aileron, no dihedral, model on the button though, I guess that person would be Ron! :D
Hi Martin, very early control line models were essentially converted free flighters' and know as "Goats". One example is the Veron Martinet but the choice of models would be fairly limited. Remember that elevator was available on single channel set ups, not only rudder but most as you say would be very tricky to fly on the button. I like the idea of a multirotor flight controller but I guess we would be in the minority :lol:

Shaun
Ralkbirdy

Post by Ralkbirdy »

Shaun wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 23:04 No problem adding elevators if you want but keep models under 40" span.
Seems not everyone heard of this guidance!

You were looking for a suitable category for the final prize, perhaps you also encourage own designs also. The flying fields are full of ARTF foam planes, so encouragement for own design along with classic plans is interesting for me.

Mkke