Theme for 2019......

Events and news
Wayne_H

Re: Theme for 2019......

Post by Wayne_H »

How about the Goblin (with power pod ala DB Apprentice or Kestrel)? That way, we get activity on the build thread (at last :lol: :lol: ) and solve the theme 'challenge' and provide plenty of time to construct & trim and you could also pylon race them. :P

Win win win & win.......... :ugeek:!!

Or, if you want a pleasant S/C aileron model, I suggest the DB Push Moth
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

On the question of choosing a theme I would just like to reiterate a plea I made at the beginning which was that it should be a "generic" theme rather than a specific model. Which means any design from a particular designer, kit manufacturer or model of a particular type..... pusher, aileron only, glider with power pod or whatever. The important thing is to give choice and also variety.

I have to confess that I never liked the Pulstar...... I did build one because that was the "Theme" but it gave me no pleasure to build or fly. (So Blinky I was delighted when you demolished Phil's and I was able to get rid of mine!) Some models appeal to some people and different models appeal to different people and I have vowed not to build another model if I don't like it! So please, whatever theme is chosen, make it one that allows choice. ;)

Paul
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Right guys .. the Top Brass from the Ponte Skunkworks have sorted the theme for Ponte 2019.

Thanks for all the suggestions for 2019.

Here you go.

Any model (plan or kit), that's single channel, galloping ghost, reeds or propo or even converted free flight from the 1955 to 1985.

BUT........

It has to be reduced in scale by at least 50% and the smaller the better. We are reigniting the spirit of Derek Woodward's' SMA.....Small Model Association.

If you want to make a single channel model multi or multi to single then no problem as long as the model looks like the original and the construction is the same.... no cheating and increasing the surfaces etc other than e power conversions instead of IC.

There will definitely be a prize for the smallest model that flies for 2 minutes min under full radio control.

Plenty of time to sort a model or two; even more as they will build quick and cost pennies.

Get cutting and sticking.... and remember the mantra... The smaller the better

If their isn't something here for everybody then maybe a new hobby is required :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shaun, Phil & Tobe
Last edited by Shaun on 31 Oct 2018, 14:34, edited 3 times in total.
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Sounds like a great theme for 2019.
To encourage others to build a small model, I will show you some of my very tiny airplanes. All are build from wood instead of depron, all do fly great.
Leastie Beastie: wingspan 13", Cox 010, weight 80g
Gnat: wingspan 8", Cox 010 later converted to electric, weight 75g
Microbee: wingspan 7", electric power, weight 70g
Middle Stick Micro: 20", electric, weight 150g
and not to forget the famous Pageboy.
All these models are great airplanes and prove that small airplane do fly great.
So get your tools ready and start building.
Of course I will build a new one also, which would qualify for the event. I already have something in mind.
Wingspan 13 inches, engime Cox TeeDee010
Wingspan 13 inches, engime Cox TeeDee010
Wingspan 8 inches, Cox TeeDee 010
Wingspan 8 inches, Cox TeeDee 010
Wingspan 7 inches, electric
Wingspan 7 inches, electric
Micro Middle Stick, wingspan 20", electric
Micro Middle Stick, wingspan 20", electric
Cheers
Frank
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

It's a great theme and it certainly allows choice...... almost too much choice (decisions, decisions! ;) ) :lol:
I want to build something for an .020 diesel, I have several ideas but none are as small as Frank's. :?

Paul
Carl

Post by Carl »

Great idea for the theme. I'll build something and send it to Shaun to fly or delegate someone else to do so.
Shaun wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 19:24
If you want to make a single channel model multi or multi to single then no problem as long as the model looks like the original and the construction is the same.... no cheating and increasing the surfaces etc other than e power conversions instead of IC.
Regarding construction. If the full size model was designed with a built-up tailplane/fin and is impractical to build it that way for the scaled down version, will it be ok to make from sheet instead?
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
------------------------------------
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Absolutely, not always when you downsize you can keep it exactly as the original but please try as much is practical.
Cheers,

Tobe
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I have my model sorted.. Building isn't a problem, I reckon under 3 hrs will have it finished including RC and motor.. Flying successfully , now there's the challenge.. Time to find another one now as I need to spend at least £5.00 on balsa..

Just to add to the event, if anybody has the time why not build an enlarged version of your favourite single channel model from depron so the behemoth Pulstar will have a flying buddy :lol:

Shaun..
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Would a large scale Coquette qualify?

Coquette.jpg

PS who is that chap?!
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

That's Fat Shaun my evil twin.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

And he sold it last week to Leon at Belair.....