Ponty Retro fly-in.... NUMBER 8..... yes really

Events and news
Shaun

Re: Ponty Retro fly-in.... NUMBER 8..... yes really

Post by Shaun »

Just a quick note. If you are the winner of the MZ Goblin short kit Neil from iGull kindly donated, the plans etch are available here on the forum if you didn't already know. Phil's built one...

Cheers,

Shaun..
Carl

Post by Carl »

ozrs wrote: 21 May 2019, 04:54 There are some very small models, but a bit hard to identify them in the video. What was the variety of these half size? models, and how did they perform?
Mine was the one that didn't perform too well :oops: The baby Starstream with 15" wingspan - the one Shaun was proxy pilot for. It wasn't until I'd actually posted the model to Shaun that the weather down here in the South West calmed down, which was preventing me from trying it out in advance except for a few straight ahead flights directly into a strong wind. Shaun has said there were issues with the receiver and that it was under powered. The receiver was a tiny Chinese FrSKy compatible - probably has the range of 5 metres :lol: Shaun has given a suggestion on improving the thrust from the duct so I'll do that when I have the model back. If I get some success I'll post a little video on the forum.
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
Carl

Post by Carl »

Thanks Phil for posting the videos. Looks like there was lots of action with great models and radio gear :)
Carl

STILL LEARNING
pulserudder

Post by pulserudder »

Add my thanks and appreciation to the chorus for posting the video.

Is that a genuine 1970's Schluter Cobra hovering about?

David
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Yes, it is an original Cobra - fixed pitch and all!

Its believed to be one of the first - if not the first - in the country. It originally belonged to John Haytree, who many will remember as the "go to" man for engine repairs. John and his friend Dave Moates taught me to fly control-line when I was about 11 years old (I'm 69 now!) and also guided me through my first steps in RC a few years later.

John ordered the Cobra direct from Germany, before there was an agent for them in the UK, which is why we believe it could be the first one in the UK.

John died some years ago, and the Cobra ended up in the care of his daughter, languishing in her garage. I offered to refurbish it and get it flying again, which I did about 18 months ago. Having more or less sorted the electric conversion out, over last winter, I stripped the fuselage bare, filled in all the holes where the fuel tank and silencer poked through, and resprayed it.

I've been having a few issues with the motor / speed controller, so I was being very cautious with it on Sunday. However, a long chat with Phil (of this parish!) suggested a possible cause and cure. I've just been trying it out in the garden, and it certainly seems to have liberated a lot more power, so hopefully I won't need to be so cautious in future!

--
Pete
pulserudder

Post by pulserudder »

Ah...thanks for the history Pete. Takes me back to my childhood. My late father learned to hover starting with Dubro whirlybird then the Hughes 300 during the 1970's, even managed forward flight, and I taught myself to do the same with an MFA Sport 500 and a single stick tranny around 1990 or so. All fixed pitch as well, although at least I had a gyro.

Best of luck with sorting the machine out.

David
Last edited by pulserudder on 21 May 2019, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

This is for Phil G, early 50's dad with Hoh Fang-Chiun, 5 years junior. Dad and Hoh were friend thru life till Hoh tragically died in a car accident. I know he came to Sweden in a dramatic way but I don't know the story and to late to ask dad.
....one more thing Hoh made his living being a computer/programmer freak/genius.
Dad in those days
Dad in those days
hoh_fang_chiun_flygrevyn_7_1975_.jpg
20190521_181413.jpg
Last edited by Tobe on 21 May 2019, 18:04, edited 3 times in total.
Cheers,

Tobe
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Brilliant photo Tobe,
I love the way the spectators/modellers wore suits with shirt and ties. :D
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Igull

Post by Igull »

VC10 RON wrote: 21 May 2019, 17:24 I love the way the spectators/modellers wore suits with shirt and ties.
My goodness Ron, what kind of club do you belong to that doesn't wear at the very least a shirt and tie on the flying field ?? Standards must be really slipping down there.
Just not the done thing in our club 'up here' :lol:

Neil
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Neil
Most of the guys DO wear suits in our club cos their all old fogies lol
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire