Good Sunday in the Netherlands

Events and news
F2B

Good Sunday in the Netherlands

Post by F2B »

We had a particular good Sunday yesterday over here.
Hardly any wind, overcast and the forcast rain held off until half four...
A combined FF and Single Channel/ Radio Assist it was.
Pictures from our home forum: https://www.modelbouwforum.nl/threads/t ... st-3988921
When there, scroll down for more.
If you have trouble reading :? , just let me know... :D
Last edited by F2B on 21 Oct 2019, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.
F2B or not to be....
Tobe

Re: Good Sunday

Post by Tobe »

Good to practice my little Dutch that I picked upp after 5 years plus as flight instructor for KLS/KL Flight Academy.
Like the guy that control with a screwdriver...or is it an excuse to say I screwed it up!
Nice green grass at your flying site but could need a small strip mowed for ROG
Cheers,

Tobe
F2B

Re: Good Sunday in the Netherlands

Post by F2B »

Tobe wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 17:49 Good to practice my little Dutch that I picked upp after 5 years plus as flight instructor for KLS/KL Flight Academy.
Like the guy that control with a screwdriver...or is it an excuse to say I screwed it up!
Nice green grass at your flying site but could need a small strip mowed for ROG
Dank je wel.... ;) Where did you fly? In the Netherlands?

This guy with the screwdriver... that's me :lol:
I'm busy writing a 'this is how I did it' about my Little Black Box, http://www.mode-zero.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=685 , that I'll put it on Mode Zero when ready.
It's basically the single channel part of Phil's 7ch Arduino encoder, plus the motorcontrol that Frank had in his Engel miniature Tx. I adapted a few values and solved a switch bounce problem I had first.
I added 4 trim pots for neutral and travel/reverse on rudder and kick up elevator.

What you're seeing is the finetuning of the 'electronic side thrust', the latest addition.
The motormount of my J-3 is alu and rather flimsy/battered, so I'd rather not risk breaking it by more bending.

Therefore I decided to mix a bit from the motorsettings (0-60-100-40-0-60-etc. %) into the rudder.
60 and 40% were responding rather neutral, but full power and motor off produced clear deviations.

Full power is correctable with blips of right rudder, but correcting the veering to the right during the approach with motor off is harder by 'just enough' dot-dash ing.

So I added two more trim pots for correcting the rudder and after trimming these properly yesterday, I made my first landing were I intended it to, 10ft. away. Now I could even flare it, while maintaining heading....
Just like my very first RC landing, also with SC , back in 1969. :mrgreen:

This meadow we're in belongs to a farmer who allows use for aeromodelling. He cuts the grass for hay making.
We were throdding about on wellies and you could hear the water swishing from under your soles.
Cutting a runway would make floats imperative.... :D
F2B or not to be....
Tobe

Re: Good Sunday in the Netherlands

Post by Tobe »

I got my company training at KLS in Elde but was later stationed in the US, first Tucson, AZ after which I followed to Fort Pierce FL. That was an intermezzo after my divorce before slowly going back to my original trade as an engineer. I definitively quit flying a few years ago after more than 15.000 as corporate pilot
Cheers,

Tobe