WANTED: Staveley Deluxe Analogue 4 Channel

Something to sell, buy or swap?
List it here.
Mike_K

WANTED: Staveley Deluxe Analogue 4 Channel

Post by Mike_K »

It's probably a bit of a long shot, but does anybody have a Staveley Deluxe Analogue 4 Channel set with Kraft Hayes joysticks they'd be prepared to sell or possibly swap with something from my collection if you'd prefer. I've included a photo I screen grabbed from eBay a while back so you know exactly what I'm after. In fact, it isn't for me, but for a good friend who's a member of this forum, is too modest to ask.

Thanks, Mike
Staveley_Analogue.JPG
GarydNB

Re: WANTED: Staveley Deluxe Analogue 4 Channel

Post by GarydNB »

I know a guy in Australia who has one Mike and I did everything I could to procure it from him (for the same modest person I think you're referring to) but his "mine, all mine!" collector's mentality was too strong!

Gary
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Thanks, Gary, I'm certain we're talking about the same modest person.

I think I'll get Stuart Mackay on the case. He heard I wanted a Skyleader 4 or 6 to complete my Skyleader collection, but I told him that I doubted there were any left. He only went and found two of them! So one Staveley Analogue with Kraft sticks should be an easy challenge for him

Cheers Mike
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Lets hope he can find 2 Mike.. I've been after one for years along with the Blue anodised 4 channel OS propo set.

Shaun
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Mike_K wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 11:52 Thanks, Gary, I'm certain we're talking about the same modest person.

I think I'll get Stuart Mackay on the case. He heard I wanted a Skyleader 4 or 6 to complete my Skyleader collection, but I told him that I doubted there were any left. He only went and found two of them! So one Staveley Analogue with Kraft sticks should be an easy challenge for him

Cheers Mike
Am already on the case, Mike!
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Mission accomplished, thanks to a lot of hard work by Stuart!
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Well, once again - and in the space of only one week - I find myself utterly gobsmacked :D
The DPD driver beeped at the gate this morning, and puzzled as I wasnt expecting any deliveries, I opened this curious parcel...
What was inside? rip, rip.... a box of Jacobs Cream Crackers! ... that had obviously been opened... had postie been nibbling
my crackers? :lol:

Inside the biscuit box was a Staveley Deluxe 4, just like the one my clubmate Dave Hill had, a set I've always wanted - Dad & my (shared) very first propo set was the budget version of the Staveley Analogue 3, with awful stick units (SLM? Horizon?). Funds didnt run to a Deluxe (Kraft-Hayes stick units and mini KPS10 servos) but that was the one we really wanted. I think at the time it cost more than a month of my Dads wages.
Its so satisfying to finally own one, thanks I understand to super-sleuth Stu Mackay who spent hours and hours interrogating his network of contacts until finally one submitted under pressure and gave up the prize :D

A sincere thank you to Stu and Mike _K for their relentless efforts and for this amazing result - I wish there was a stronger word than gobsmacked but as a simple Yorkshireman I dont know of one. I'm triple-gobsmacked. Thanks lads!

The set was well-gunked with castor-varnish, often a good thing for preservation. The Kraft chrome bezels looked a bit corroded but it turns out that was more caked varnish. Brake-cleaner, a soft cloth and lots of pressured scrubbing brought them up nicely. The case was scrubbed with a Vim solution and a toothbrush (I've lost my 'Barkeepers Friend' somewhere) - theres more scrubbing to do but this is the first pass, not bad for a well-used 1969 radio eh?

IMG_20210205_134747.jpg

I dont feel at all bad converting this as the PCB is quite corroded with green copper sludge through damp. It will be a straight 4 channel set though, no extra switches or buttons, just like the original I never had! :D Might put it on 35mhz as the original aerial is in good nick too.

Thanks again Mike & Stu, sterling effort!
Cheers
Phil

Edit: I managed to get rid of the dreaded 'Dymo' mess with brake cleaner... :D
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Congratulations Phil, it looks great.
My deepest respect ot the effort and results of Stu´s and Mike_K´s work.
It will make a great straight 35MHz radio without any gimmiks.

Frank
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

tiptipflyer wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 15:43 Congratulations Phil, it looks great.
My deepest respect to the effort and results of Stu´s and Mike_K´s work.
It will make a great straight 35MHz radio without any gimmiks.

Frank
And I second the motion - well deserved and well played lads
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
GarydNB

Post by GarydNB »

Yaaaaaayyy! He got one!
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Gary