Dart crankshaft

Something to sell, buy or swap?
List it here.
frogeye61

Dart crankshaft

Post by frogeye61 »

Does anyone have a spare DC dart crankshaft they wish to dispose of?? I was running mine today and it started to get stiff. On stripping it down I discovered the crank had fractured! Most odd but I guess its least 40 years old its just given up!
Thanks
PaulJ

Re: Dart crankshaft

Post by PaulJ »

To be honest Frogeye, you would be best to look on ebay for a new (used) engine. They appear on ebay quite frequently but different generations all seem to have crankshafts of different diameters....... I had several fairly tatty Darts and tried to make one good one out of them but none of the cranks would fit in a different crankcase! You should get a reasonable one for £40 - £50 . This one is "new" and a higher price than most.......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-NEW-IN-BOX ... Sws2dgKX5l

Paul
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

The Dav Cal darts were less well made after Alan Allbon left and were nothing like the same quality as engines produced when he worked for DC. Dav Cal ownership was the end of the line for DC. Hefin Davies had sold the business by then. Still an ok engine but not a great.

I have a number of new DC spares. I'll have a look for you to see if I have one, but as Paul mentioned most are a tight fit so you may have to "lap" it into your crankcase. If you do buy a second hand Dart try to get an Allbon or DC version

Frogeye ' is your Dart an Allbon, DC, EWDEC or DavCal version?

Cheers,

Shaun
Last edited by Shaun on 20 Mar 2021, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
frogeye61

Post by frogeye61 »

Hi
Thanks for all the comments.Shaun, thanks for looking. Its a DC Ltd one so probably around the early 60's. It has a pink rather than a red head. I thought the colour had faded but its like that on the inside so this helps to date it.

Best wishes

Bob
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

Bit of info I found.......

http://modelenginenews.org/prod/ofw_dart.html

Also a manual in case you don't have one....
Attachments
Manual.jpg
frogeye61

Post by frogeye61 »

By way of an update, I managed to locate a crankshaft, in fact I found 3 but two were cracked, around the intake hole. Its a very spindly shaft!!
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Good news. I finally found my spares box this evening but bad news I didn't have one. Merlin, Spitfire and Sabre but no Dart.

Shaun.