Sprengbrook 3 channel propo Tx

Something to sell, buy or swap?
List it here.
JefO

Sprengbrook 3 channel propo Tx

Post by JefO »

Built by my dad, from a kit sold by Harry Brooks.
Dad was an engineer. I never met a more capable engineer; this set was built to a very high standard.
I am in the South of Essex, but I am willing to travel for the right new owner.
Complete and probably working if fitted with new battery, as far as I know, has in built selectable crystal set.

@Tobe can you resize this image for me please? I don't know how to resize photos on my phone
.....easy peasy! Cheers
Attachments
20221013_114433.jpg
Last edited by JefO on 27 Oct 2022, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
PaulJ

Re: Sprengbrook 3 channel propo Tx

Post by PaulJ »

I was interested to see this because I aquired one of these a few months ago and it is still awaiting conversion onto 2.4GHz. Mine too is very nicely put together and still works. Having never seen one before, I just assumed it had been built by Sprengbrook...... Were these sets all built from kits or were they also supplied ready built and is there any way to tell which is which?

Paul
JefO

Post by JefO »

Hi Paul,

Yes, I am sure that they were also available in ready rolled formats.

However, we did have the advantage of being resident within a few miles of Harry Brooks (one half of Sprengbrook) model shop in Westcliff... over a period of several months, Dad and I popped in on our way past, buying components and materials most weekends, so it was easy for Dad to ask for a kit of parts rather than the assembled item, but I do not know whether or not they were generally available as kits.

I am sure this is the place you will find out that info though.

Thanks for making contact.

Best regards,

Jef
JefO

Post by JefO »

JefO wrote: 24 Oct 2022, 12:22 .....easy peasy! Cheers
Thank you Tobe :)
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Jeff

I'm away from home this week, but at home, I have the complete assembly manual for the HB 3 channel propo set and the Sprengbrook service manual, for the 2, 3, 4 and 6 channel sets, complete with all circuit drawings for the Tx, Rx and servos, so it should be pretty easy to get it working again, if not still working.

The kits were always sold as HB (Harry Brooks), but I suspect many HB sets were assembled on the Sprengbrook production line. I have a 4-channel HB set and a 4-channel Sprengbrook set, and the wiring layout, cables used etc are identical to each other. I think Pete Christy told me the kits were sold partially as a tax dodge, back in the early 1970s electronic kits were considered "educational" and had less tax than commercially built electronics, but model shops would get the HB sets built for you and sell them at a lower price than the Sprengbrook, but they were identical except the badge!

Do you have a receiver for the set? Why not keep it and get it working, I'm certain I have a spare 3 or 4 channel HB/Sprengbrook Rx that works, and a box of Sprengbrook servos, to make a complete set. I've sent you a pm.

Cheers

Mike
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

In the days before VAT, the equivalent tax was Purchase Tax - which was exactly what the name implied! [RANT ON] I've never understood what *value* was added by VAT - surely it should have been named Cost Added Tax! [RANT OFF/]

As Purchase Tax was purely under the control of the UK Government, items which required a substantial amount of assembly by the customer were exempt - supposedly an educational encouragement! You could even buy a Lotus Elan as a kit for a substantial drop in price!

How valuable this was for manufacturers is a bit of a moot point, but repairing badly assembled kits kept a lot of maintenance men in decent employment!

As Mike points out, a lot of suppliers would supply you with a kit, and then assemble it for you for a small fee.

With the Red Box Sprengrbook sets, if it had a "Sprengbrook" badge, it was factory assembled. If it said "HB Precision", it was a kit. The units were otherwise identical.

As an aside, the Red Box sets were the only ones Doug Spreng had a hand in IIRC - the later black ones were re-badged Brand Microprop sets from Germany.

--
Pete
JefO

Post by JefO »

Ahhh thank you for the info Pete.

Yes Dad's box had the HB Precision label. I had forgotten that.

Thanks for the PM Mike K. I have responded with an email.

I like it here!

Jef
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Thanks one and all for the info. Mine has an HB badge so I guess it must have been a kit..... It was nicely put together though AND it still works! :o :P
20221025_085233[1].jpg
Paul
JefO

Post by JefO »

Item is still for sale
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

I'm interested Jeff, I've sent you a PM

Cheers

Mike