Simpletone S/c Tx

Something to sell, buy or swap?
List it here.
JefO

Simpletone S/c Tx

Post by JefO »

Another gem from the collection.

Dad used this to crash his Amigo II time after time, until he gave up on r/c flight (to successfully return at a much later date) - then I used this to control the steering on a yacht. I was a teenager then (I am 63 now), so I am amazed it is in such good condition.

I am in the South of Essex, and willing to travel to help it's new owner to enjoy it some more.

I have no idea if it still works, but I know you clever lot would never let a simple thing like that stand in your way.

Jef
Attachments
P1000531 Simpletone.jpg
Pchristy

Re: Simpletone S/c Tx

Post by Pchristy »

I built a SimpleTone Tx many decades ago. It was quite an interesting design, with a push-pull output stage instead of the more usual single transistor.

I tried to pair it up with a second-hand MacGregor superhet relay receiver, but never got much range from the combo. The transmitter certainly had plenty of output, so I suspect I had discovered why the MacG receiver had been for sale! :evil:

In the late 70s, I gave it to a work colleague who wanted a remote garage door opener. I figured that with the poor range of the receiver, it should be reasonable secure, despite the dreaded CB interference back then!

:lol:

--
Pete
JefO

Post by JefO »

Pete,

Am I correct in thinking it was an RCM&E kit?

Jef
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Jef: Your query about RCM&E got me thinking, so I dug out my original construction booklet. I realised I've confused the "Simpletone" with the "Singlet" - easily done as both appeared to use the same case!

The "Singlet" - the one I built - was a Radio Modeller article, and was designed by Paul Newell, who later designed the Microtrol kit digital system.

Apologies for the confusion!

--
Pete
JefO

Post by JefO »

Sounds to me, Pete,

Like you need a Simpletone to add to your collection!

:D

Jef
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

From my list, it was in RCM&E May 1968. If you wait until next week I can check the mag and scan the article, unless somebody else has the magazine to hand?
JefO

Post by JefO »

Thanks for that info Mike.
Glad you were able to confirm the memory, from when I was 9 yrs old!
Also from that time, I remember learning that the body of the soldering iron gets hot enough to really bugger up your hand if you pick it up by the wrong bit.
I got a week or two off school because of that moment of education, helping Dad build the SImpletone.
At the time I had a free-sailing home made model land yacht.
All day, every day, out there chasing the thing up and down the road took away the pain!

Now then, anyone want a lovely little S/C Tx, to go with the article that Mike is going to scan? :D
Martin

Post by Martin »

There's a famous stock photograph, presumably taken by a non-technical photographer of a non-technical model, showing how soldering is done.

Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I believe I have Paul Newell's original set. It was given to me a couple of years ago.
JefO

Post by JefO »

Item still for sale