Slim Jim servo instructions & Single Channel receivers

Something to sell, buy or swap?
List it here.
Malc2770

Slim Jim servo instructions & Single Channel receivers

Post by Malc2770 »

Hello, I am new to the forum and not sure how it works! I am trying to get my model boats going again after a 50+ years break. I am looking for Slim Jim servo instructions as I can not remember how to connect them up (Does anyone have a copy please). Also I have vairious single channel Transmitters with no Receivers (Does anyone know of a source of crystal controled relay 27mhz receivers). I hope this message works and look forward to any replies, Malc.
Shaun

Re: Slim Jim servo instructions & Single Channel receivers

Post by Shaun »

Hi Malc,

Welcome to our retro Valhalla.

Which version of the slim Jim instructions are you looking for.

There were at least 2, possibly 3 versions.

Any particular brand of 27mhz s/c rx you are looking for?

Cheers,

Shaun.
Malc2770

Post by Malc2770 »

Hi Shaun, Thank you for your reply, I am still sorting out how the forum works, but getting there slowly! I have several Slim Jim servos but no idea which models, some have 3, 4 or 6 wires to connect (does that give a clue)? I also would like to use my Gem and RCS transmitters but am not worried which receivers to use. Crystal controled would be best so I can sail with other club members and a total of 4 Rx`s would be great so I don`t have to keep moving from boat to boat. By the way I am quite happy to pay any costs involved if you can help, Malc.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I'll have a look and see if I have any spare relay rx's in my bits box.

๐Ÿ‘
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Here you go!
IMG_20231113_132117280~3.jpg
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Slim jims were odd because you pressed once for left , twice for right. The opposite of all escapements such as Elmic.

There was a version of the slim Jim for relayless rx's

Rgds,

Shaun.
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

Shaun wrote: โ†‘13 Nov 2023, 13:27 Slim jims were odd because you pressed once for left , twice for right. The opposite of all escapements such as Elmic.
Resolved simply by moving the output crank (at either the motor or rudder) by 180 degrees on the shaft, Nest'ce'pas ?
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Yes ,they chose to be different.

The slim Jim was intended to be installed like a traditional escapement using a torque rod (see diagram,) not via a pushrod. I seem to remember also that the output shaft had a flat on it keying the arm in one position. Moving the out put arm wouldn't change the direction of rotation. In a boat however you could easily change direction with a push rod. A few Japanese motorised actuators also used this key sequence.In fact one set up was. 1st press left, 2nd right, 3rd up, 4th down, 5th throttle change... No quick blip. I set one up to see and glad I didn't try it in the air. Not easy to get the throttle correct. ..

Shaun.
Malc2770

Post by Malc2770 »

Hi Shaun, Thanks for the diagram, I am sure I can get them working from that. I will keep my fingers crossed regarding the receivers. Best wishes, Malc.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Shaun kindly gave me a Slim Jim to go with my Astral Tx a while back (both made by Modelectric Ltd), so here are some pictures and a scan of the instructions so you can all see what one looks like

Slim_Jim_01.jpg
Slim_Jim_02.jpg
Slim_Jim_Instructions.jpg

And I found a spare label for the Tx on eBay recently, quite a bizarre find

Astral.jpg