Motorbikes general chat thread

Born again bikers!
RON
Site Admin

Motorbikes general chat thread

Post by RON »

Here is a photo of my Suzuki GS750 and YES believe it or not it is me sitting on it (how skinny).
It was taken around 1991.

Ron
IMG_0355.jpg
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Phil_G

Re: Motorbikes thread

Post by Phil_G »

I've always loved the cafe racer style, so here's my story :)

Its 1971.
Bear in mind I was only just 16, when you were allowed to start out on a 250 and ride without a helmet.
My dream bike at the time was a 250 Royal Enfield Continental GT, however...

My Dad had impressed on me that the twelve-year-old, bought-for-£45 BSA C15 constantly needed the valvegear oiling because the oilways were bunged up internally. This I did with absolute dedication for a week. A month later, almost home from a Cadwell Park meeting, the valvegear seized through lack of oil and wrecked the top end. Now my uncle was forever my saviour, he rescued me from all sorts of automotive catastrophies over the years. He was the chief mech at a local scrapyard where they made & sold whats now termed cut & shut cars. They did it properly of course, he was a proper engineer.

Anywho, we told him of the C15 engine's mysterious demise Image and he took me to the yard and showed me a Bond Minicar 3-wheeler. These two-seater death traps had a single powered front wheel and two freewheeling rears. They usually had a Villiers 197cc two-stroke motorbike engine, but this one was the sporty version with a Villiers 4T 250cc twin, an ideal donor for the C15! Actually its the same engine used by Royal Enfield in their 250 Turbo Twin (which didnt have a turbo, but was a twin...)
Whilst at the yard I had a rummage and found two Suzuki 250 exhausts, in fact I found a complete Suzuki Super 6 250 which I begged to have - but neither Dad or uncle approved as it was "far too fast for a lad".

There are a three things about the Bond Mini which gave the converted C15 a unique character. The first was that the gearing was for a tiny 10" wheel which when translated to the C15 frame and its much larger wheels meant it was geared for the speed of sound. Almost. Which meant I was the only one in our little group with a 3-speed box plus overdrive.

The second thing was that the engine had a "Siba Dynastart", electric start facility. This was done by magic, it was unheard of in small engines. A bike that started by turning the key. Even the big expensive bikes couldnt do that! Heady stuff!

The last thing that made this bike utterly unique was that in theory, it would easily top 80mph. Backwards!
The Bond version of the 4T had two opposing sets of points, allowing the engine to be stopped and restarted in reverse, to allow you to reverse the car - bike engines of course having only forward gears, no reverse. The electrics to accomplish this were a complete mystery to a 16-year old (and to his Dad) so the whole lot was transplanted. There were no safety interlocks and there was nothing to stop you using all 4 gears with the engine running backwards!

So me & the rejuvenated C15 had many happy years together, me & the lads regularly went to race meetings, camping trips, plus commuting to BT at Maltravers Road , Sheffield. I cannot for the life of me remember what happened to it, probably sold to help pay for an old Hillman Imp California, which is another story altogether (a story which also involves broken engines and great times)

Happy days. Well, no, it was unreliable, slow, heavy, greedy... but it was a 16-year-old's first taste of freedom and I loved it!

Cheers
Phil
6887mp.jpg
6887mp.jpg (25.52 KiB) Viewed 39525 times
6887mp_1.jpg
...and here's its present-day replacement:
conti_gt_535.jpg
at Squires:
enfield_squires.jpg
the similarity between the Conti GT and my old C15 is striking:
very_similar_bikes.jpg
"My name is Phil and I'm a trackaholic..."
"My name is Phil and I'm a trackaholic..."
FBMinis

Re: Motorbikes general chat thread

Post by FBMinis »

And some motogp chaps complain about short run-offs :D
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

Had one of those GS750's, bought it new in '79.
Before that it was BSA's, Triumph and other odd machines from who knows where.
Started with an old Indian when I was 14 that Dad had in bits in his workshop. It had been bored out to suit Austin A40 pistons. Reassembled it all by myself and then got a boot up the britches for using all of Dad's exhaust pipe cut offs to weld up a set of exhaust pipes.
Actually got to ride it about 10 years later when it resurfaced somewhere.

Currently doing a big cleanup to regain some floorspace in Dad's garage so we can work on a CB200 I bought just for something for him to do in his retirement. 3 there all together so should be good for bits.
Engine has been done and the frame ready for new paint.
Actually bought some expensive stuff last year and then found he had been using it to paint a couple of motor mowers he had been working on. Air was a bit blue that day as I expect it will be as I get more in to the cleanup.
Seems I make some advance only to return the next day to find rubbish put back inside. :o :o

Thing is, at 92 he's not about to change his ways.
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

Ahhhhh..... memories!
Attachments
What we have here is a total lack of respect for the law.....
What we have here is a total lack of respect for the law.....
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

Colonel Blink wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 10:58 Ahhhhh..... memories!
Never had enough dead brain cells to do that nor ever the inclination.
Lack of a leather jacket at least is a no-no I fear.

Don't know about other countries but here in Aus it is difficult enough to keep and eye out in every direction known to man to avoid motor vehicle drivers who quite simply, do not give a toss about bike riders on road rights and right of way rules.
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

Thank you for your kind post.

In 1985 I was indestructible, had endless supplies of money and did silly things for 'fun'.
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

You'll just love this one then...... :D

A couple of mates worked in National Tyres, and so I used to get maximum trade discount if I burnt out the old tyre.......
My leather jacket, back protector, elbow and knee pads and full suit of armour are out of shot...
My leather jacket, back protector, elbow and knee pads and full suit of armour are out of shot...
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

I did a fair bit of Grass track & Dirt track racing + club racing my old Mini

I was never much of a fan of riding on the road for 2 reasons. 1. Drivers in Sydney are oblivious, distracted, incompetent, dangerous & completely useless in general & 2. Once the helmet is on the red mist descends & I find myself backing it in & out corners & other equally fun but stupid stuff for road riding. Best I stay away.

I don't have much by way of photos of my old bike racing days. The then girlfriend wasn't keen on sitting in a paddock all day so I was generally solo or with the boys who were riding at the same time as me.
Still have this one tucked away for a rainy day.
Still have this one tucked away for a rainy day.
Wish I still had this. GT on the straight at Bathurst. Not racing but crewing for a mate.
Wish I still had this. GT on the straight at Bathurst. Not racing but crewing for a mate.
img20200607_15254124.jpg
img20200607_14340329.jpg
Mini car club day at the long since gone Catalina raceway. Late 80s or early 90s. #23 is me
Mini car club day at the long since gone Catalina raceway. Late 80s or early 90s. #23 is me
Practicing with the boys. KTM300.
Practicing with the boys. KTM300.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

_AL_ wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 15:14 I was never much of a fan of riding on the road........
'Very wise! I had the very real pleasure of meeting Barry Sheen on a couple of occasions and he said that he would "never ride a motorbike on the road because it was just too dangerous"! :o I saved that one up for my son when he was old enough to want a motorbike. ;)

Paul