Rare(?) Aussie mag from the early-mid 70's

Anything you like!
Wayne_H

Rare(?) Aussie mag from the early-mid 70's

Post by Wayne_H »

I found a stash of old plans & mags t'other day whilst ferreting around in the storage unit looking for some specific house building bits. Amongst the stash were copies of an Aussie modelling mag from the mid 70s. ;)

(Australia & New Zealand) Modeller's Monthly was started by the Shannon bros to fill a then much needed gap for a modelling publication aimed sqarely at the local Australian market.
vol1.no1 cover.jpg
As you can imagine, being produced by modellers in (effectively) their spare time, for local modellers, it was constrained by a low financial & resource budget. Consequently, it used a newspaper style "broadsheet" format, newspaper stock, & local content supplimented with content sourced/crossed over from some overseas publications. There were advertisements that at first glance were 'articles' (long before "infomercials" were ever thought of :o ), as well as plans, 3 views, etc.

Early editions - Vol.1 - were monochrome throughout, but later editions often had single primary colour banners - green, yellow, etc. Later editions capitalised on the large sheet size with fullsize plans for bigger models included.
vol2.no.3,4.jpg
vol2.no.11,12.jpg
vol3.no5.jpg
I enjoy re-reading older mags such as this one - they bring back great memories of some of the first competitions I participated in as a junior, as well as many 'wonder where they are now' moments. The quaint language in some of the advertisements gave me a chuckle too - check out the KRAFT (Australia) add.
vol1.no1 back.jpg
EK LRB add.jpg
Southern Cross 3view.jpg
Never did find those house bits :roll:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Stewart

Re: Rare(?) Aussie mag from the early-mid 70's

Post by Stewart »

Heres some pics of a famous Fokker, my dad and 2 others rebuilt the Southern cross after ww2 so it could be flown to make the movie Smithy
Attachments
My Dad cranking the engine
My Dad cranking the engine
Stewart

Re: Rare(?) Aussie mag from the early-mid 70's

Post by Stewart »

pic2
Attachments
my dad on the tressel up front
my dad on the tressel up front