What will be retro in the future?

Anything you like!
Stew

What will be retro in the future?

Post by Stew »

Just pondering..

We all like playing with ancient single channel sets, reed sets, early propo etc.
in say 35/40 years, what tech that is new today will people want to collect and use in the future do you think?
(So I can collect it now and put it away and make a packet flogging it to people like me!) :twisted:

What do you think?, is my Flysky FSi6 going to be a desirable item for someone?! I doubt it, but there may be some things in recent production that could be 'future classics'
I have no interest in collecting such things, but I wondered what you think people will be bidding for on the the fleabay of the future?

Stew.
Martin

Re: What will be retro in the future?

Post by Martin »

It's mostly nostalgia that drives these things - it's people remembering, "my first X", especially when X was some new exciting thing that didn't exist before. Think about the current collecting craze for "retro" home computers - especially if they still have their original box - sometimes the cardboard box is worth more than the electronics inside!

What's genuinely new in radio control models these last twenty years? Most things are just incremental improvements, and the only really 'new' thing has been multirotors. So perhaps things like an original DJI Phantom will be collectable - especially because most of them will have been crashed, flown away, or worn out - that makes the few surviving ones more valuable. If you still have one in really great condition, and especially if you still have the box, now is the time to pack it away safely, ready to sell to some keen collector twenty years from now. :lol:

Another new thing, though perhaps not as exciting, were the first 2.4GHz systems. I can imagine future collectors with the first models of Spektrum transmitters and receivers inside a display case.

Most of us are getting pretty old, so if anyone is likely to make any money, it's more likely to be those who inherit our junk! The danger, of course, is that it will be tossed in a skip, because whoever has to deal with it won't be able to identify those few valuable items amongst the piles of stuff that are genuinely worthless! :?
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

Perhaps the first Mode Zero S/C coders will become classic 'Retro Retro' 8-)
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

One of the things that allows us to "re-manufacture" many classic radios is that they were seriously over-engineered! Even relatively cheap sets, like the Horizon, featured aluminium cases, and whilst I had severe reservations about the quality of FlightLink's electronics, their mechanical construction would probably have survived a nuclear attack!

With most modern radios being of plastic construction, I do wonder how many will survive in the long term. Perhaps rarity in 50 years time will make them even more desirable! I can see the Taranis X9D - the system that "broke the mould" - becoming a classic, but I'm not sure of what else.

--
Pete
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Multiplex 3030 and 4000. They were outstanding quality and highly featured sets in the day. Almost totally programmable and I suspect the inspiration for the Tranis. That's as long as the display lasts. It would appear that long term they can degrade and fail.

Neil (iGull) was the Multiplex expert...Chip in if you're around.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Shaun wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 12:38 Multiplex 3030 and 4000. They were outstanding quality and highly featured sets in the day.....
I believe the same could be said of the Multiplex Royal MC. With their plug in EEPROM they may be "Clunky" by later standards, but in their day were head & shoulders above their rivals. Ergonomically superb, I still enjoy using mine which I've had from brand new (1985).
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Stew

Post by Stew »

I must suggest the Spektrum DX6i as a future classic.
One wonders though about the durability of plastic. I understand Bakelite degrades rapidly after a certain time frame, so apart from that it will be interesting to see how plastics and LCD displays hold up.
I certainly think Phil's single channel encoder will be collectable in years to come. Retro retro. A marvel of form and function.
The Multiplex sets are certainly sought after. Nice design. Minimalist.
For people like myself it's not just what it does, its function etc, but the whole design of the thing, even down to the fonts of the logos on the front, and the tactile appeal of holding the cases with the vinyl covering. Even the smell! Ever bought an old transmitter and opened the case for the first time in decades and just have a good old sniff?
It's nice. It speaks to you.
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Playstation.