Drone/Model registration.

Anything you like!
Stew

Drone/Model registration.

Post by Stew »

Hi all.

Well what a gordian knot that was!
After Ponty I decided that yes, I may like to fly models above 250g, so Ah! thinks I, I'll take the RCC test and become a 'flyer'..
Several hours later, I am left with a shed-load of emails, a pass (32/40) which wasn't bad I guess, considering I didn't 'revise,' and a certificate which I was to upload to the BMFA site. I managed, but it wasn't straightforward.
I now have an email saying I'm also an 'operator'....How that happened I have no idea.

Wonder if they'll send me a flyer number, or an operator number?

The whole thing was very confusing, which is usual in any interaction with the CAA.

Stew.
MaxZ

Re: Drone/Model registration.

Post by MaxZ »

Hi Stew,

I live in The Netherlands, so things are different here. But assuming GB is still following the agreed EU-wide system before you guys decided to leave, I will give you my 5 cts.

The certificate and the operator are two different things. Certain organisations have been granted the rights to issue certificates, and I assume the BMFA is one of them (if not the only one).

The operator thing is just a registration, and this may have to be done with a different organisation (the CAA?).

One can go without the other, depending on the rules in your country it may be perfectly legal to fly with a club without certificate (it is in NL), but you will always have to be able to show an operator registration number (not necessarily yours) on any model >250g you are flying anywhere.

See it as owning and driving a car. Owning it requires registration (at least here in NL), but not necessarily a driver's license if you choose not to drive it on public roads, but when you borrow someone else's car and take it for a spin you will need a driver's license, while the registration is the owner's business (but it will need to be registered).

Cheers,
Max.
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

Incidentally, the comparison with cars is quite apt here in NL, as it is literally the same government body that issues both car registrations and model operators numbers, the RDW (RijksDienst voor het Wegverkeer).

Where it differs is that the RDW also does the test and issues your driver's license, and in case of our model flying certificate the responsibility for tests has been given to multiple organisations. But in the end, it is again the RDW who issues the certificate.

Cheers,
Max.
Last edited by MaxZ on 09 Aug 2021, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
Stew

Post by Stew »

I actually think I understand it after doing some more digging.
I have an 'operator number' from the CAA which goes in my model, and passed the BMFA RCC test, which exempts me from needing a 'flyer number' from the CAA.

At least I think that's what happened...

Anyhow, I printed some stickers which can go on my model, and my BMFA membership is up to date, with a nice little card on it's way in the post. I guess that's that sorted until I get a reminder letter.

I can find something else to be bewildered about now. It won't be long... :roll:
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

It now seems that the cause of all this is slowly backing out of drone deliveries.
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/amazon- ... bkoBylYJGQ
ozrs

Post by ozrs »

FOR THE AUSSIES ON THE FORUM

FYI: CA$A is consulting on minor changes to the model aircraft registration regulations. Consultation opened 5 Nov, submissions close 18 Nov 21.
https://consultation.casa.gov.au/regula ... cd-2113us/

PREVIOUSLY CA$A STATED in RPA REGISTRATION & ACCREDITATION, SUMMARY OF CONSULTATION - Date 30 July 2019

"The cost of registration has yet to be determined by CASA, it will depend on whether the RPA is flown for fun or profit. It is likely to be a PER PERSON annual fee of $20 or less for recreational RPAs and for some model aircraft operators. There will also be an annual registration fee likely to range from $100 to $160 per RPA, for each commercial RPA."

CURRENT CONSULTATION

"Proposed policy change 6.
Model aircraft/recreational drones should be subject to the same registration validity periods as RPA.
  • EACH model aircraft registration would have its own registration certificate with a 12-month validity period as is the case for the registration validity period for RPA.
  • The consequence of this change is that EACH model aircraft/ recreational drone would be subject to a registration levy (currently set an NIL – consultation on increasing levy to be conducted in 1st quarter 2022)."

This is not a MINOR change - it is a FUNDAMENTAL change. It is clearly intended to rake in more cash (rumours are the initial fee will be $40, and the legislation allows the fee to be up to $300 per year).

NOTE: CA$A has forecast it will extract $26 million per year from the drone tax in their forward budgets - you do the maths?.

I doubt this change alone will get them to $26 million. What is the bet, that the next promise CA$A reneges on is the exemption from registration for flying at club fields?

The other change is to the regulations is to make it explicitly clear that kids are banned from the hobby - shameful.

Please circulate to any Aussie flyers and encourage them to make a submission. Actually anyone can make a submission.

BTW rumours are that following a senate inquiry last year, the CA$A CEO's 'contract was not renewed', the 2IC was 'pushed'. The head of RPAS was also 'pushed' (went to Airservices), and the position below him was told not to bother to apply.

The reasons for this are hard to find, but seems to have stemmed from a toxic culture within CA$A, along with misconduct/corruption.

A new CEO was bought in (Pip Spence - who seems to have zero aviation experience), presumably to clean up CA$A. She has publicly stated that she expects CA$A officers to listen to and engage with stakeholders. So perhaps, the lip service consultation may change - but I won't hold my breath.
Richard
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Thanks for the post.
I've just put something up on the Australian forum on RcGroups & the Slope forum where most of the Aussies go.

This would kill our hobby. These clowns need to be held accountable.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Thanks for the 'heads up' Richard.

This is the sharp end of a big stake, being weilded by career bureaucrats with no empathy for us, and even less knowledge of what it is that we do. It's user pays, but don't expect anything in return for your $'s. I spent 11 years last century working for these peanuts when I was doing Air Traffic Control. Those that failed ATC went into aviation policy, regulation and administration. The current mob and their "systems"(?) are the product of that generation of failures, led by the electronic Dick.

CA$A ...... we're not happy unless you're unhappy :o

Ah, that feels better :P I'll climb down off my soapbox (after I've done my stretching & warm up exercises, checked my risk assessment, adjusted my Safe Work Method Statement accordingly, consulted the Material Safety Data Sheet & identified a suitable recycling location for said soapbox, donned my PPE and briefed my spotter/safety buddy).

Joking aside, just as fellow forum members in other countries have had to do, we need to make the time to respond, lobby local MPs and support our national aeromodelling representatives.
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
ozrs

Post by ozrs »

Pretty much sums it up
Attachments
CA$A-wanted-poster.jpg
Richard