Green Planet

Anything you like!
PaulJ

Green Planet

Post by PaulJ »

Did anyone watch the first episode of David Attenborough's new series, Green Planet? Amongst a lot of other stuff there was a lot I never knew about the Balsa Tree...... Like it is the fastest growing tree in the world and can grow 10 metres in a year! It also went into the cellular structure of the wood and lots more so if you missed it, it's well worth a watch on catch-up......

Paul
Stew

Re: Green Planet

Post by Stew »

Wish they grew in Northern England Paul!
Apparently it's all about how they fell them without the fall stressing/shattering the wood.
I have a reasonable stock of the stuff, but I could always do with more. It's the same old formula isn't it! You always need n+1, where 'n' is the amount of Balsa you currently have...
Martin

Post by Martin »

Yes - it was interesting to see all the Balsa tree's adaptations when previously we've only looked at its wood: large leaves to block the light to any competitor plants below, hairy leaves to stop vines getting a grip, very-fast-growing to beat competitor trees to the best light - which results in the lightweight wood we like - but also makes the trees fragile with a fairly short life (about twenty years), large flowers that fill with nectar several times per night, resulting in the pollinating animals visiting multiple balsa trees and then returning to promote good cross-pollination.

I've always been interested why trees in forests are so tall. It's all about out-competing the neighbouring trees in the fight to collect the sunlight: if the trees could agree to a certain height limit, say ten feet, then they'd collect just as much light in total, without putting all their resources into growing so high: but evolution doesn't work that way, so the trees have evolved to grow as fast and/or tall as possible. Just as well for us, as evolution has resulted in all the different varieties of wood with their excellent mechanical properties for building our homes, furniture, and model planes!
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

Now we have a shortage of the stuff and high cost for what is available because of the bloody greenies and their wind generators.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I was reassured to see that it grows so fast so no matter how much the Chinese chop down, it should regenerate fairy quickly so we (and our grandkids!) can continue to build the vintage models of the future! ;) :P

Paul
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

We are lucky they grow here in northern Australia and New Guinea, I can't imagine the prices we would pay if Oz had to import.

I've read that only 15% of the balsa tree is good for our hobby, the rest is "hard enough to make axe handles" quoting the article.
Cheers,

Dave
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

iflylilplanes wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 20:55 ......the rest is "hard enough to make axe handles" ....
I have some 48" long 1/2" & 3/8" balsa sheets that must date back to the late 60's at least - I bought them as part of a job lot at a deceased estate sale in the mid 70's. They are now so hard they could be used for the axe heads :lol: :roll:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

[/quote]I have some 48" long 1/2" & 3/8" balsa sheets that must date back to the late 60's at least - I bought them as part of a job lot at a deceased estate sale in the mid 70's. They are now so hard they could be used for the axe heads :lol: :roll:
[/quote]

I once found in the balsa stock delivered to the hobby shop I worked in, a 1/4" square stick so hard and heavy you could use it for engine mounts, yet, I still have some 20 thou sheet (like paper) left over, I used for a peanut scale and indoor HLG gliders I built way back. Fantastically versatile wood, I've even mad a 3mm balsa ply fin and rudder for my Royal Coachman, added so much strength and stiffness for so little weight.
Cheers,

Dave