Wild weather

Anything you like!
Wayne_H

Wild weather

Post by Wayne_H »

I hope Jeff & other Aussie forum members & their families along Australia's east coast are surviving the current devastating flooding.

Likewise, to north American members affected by the widespread cold weather, I hope you & yours are all ok & staying warm.

I'm not up with the latest UK weather - by the looks of Boris's hair - it must be pretty wild, I hope you are all safe & well.

A Pandemic, whack jobs in power in multiple countries, and crazy wild weather. Come on Ponty & any other opportunities to bash buttons, shake your tail feathers, gallop your ghosts and generally chill with your mates 8-)

Stay well & safe all.
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
bluejets

Re: Wild weather

Post by bluejets »

Hi Wayne,
It missed us this time thankfully.
Although there was a bucket load of rain, it wasn't so much in the river catchment areas to the west of us.
Start was more around 100klm south.
However, that said, we did cop it big time on Australia day back in 2013, biggest one ever at over 9 metres, took everything.
In my workshop, I still search for hours at times for something hobby related I'm sure was there, but no, must have gone in the flood.
I really feel for the poor buggers down south of us.

Then Sunday night a roaring great localised typhoon arrived and blew the crap out of everything. Only lasted maybe 5 minutes and when I looked on the back steps, one of my shoes had gone.
Next day, saw the big Jacaranda tree had taken a walloping but didn't initially seem all that bad, until I looked in to the neighbours yard for my shoe.
1/3 of the tree was in their back yard.
So yesterday was a mammoth task cleaning all that away.
71 the other day, too old for this. :D
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

I received a text last night from emergency services warning of floods in my area of Bankstown in Sydney, Bankstown airport is only 15' above sea level.

Georges river beside the airport is flowing over the local control line club's field across Milperra road from the airport and Milperra road in front of Bunnings is up to car windows, Bunnings is safe though it is on airport land, another 5' and the airport will start to go under.

I hope the control line club's okay, they have recently had new turf laid on one of their circles, it might wash away.
Cheers,

Dave
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

Drove past the control line field yesterday, turf still in place, not bad for being under 3 feet of water for a day. That's no help though for the residents living in the flooded areas near by.
Cheers,

Dave
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

We've had an interesting few weeks to say the least.
We live on the edge of a Bluegum Forrest (Think very tall, very heavy hardwood trees that like dropping big branches). It's not uncommon to have a car or roof damaged by a falling branch in this neighborhood but nothing too extreme generally. I had 3 100' tall trees in my front yard.

About 4 weeks ago after a couple of weeks worth of rain one decided it had enough & fell over, taking out all power, phone & internet in the street along with the garage across the street.
It also damage the roots of the tree beside it so $3k later that one has been removed too.

2 weeks ago there was a land slide up the road. Far enough away from us to be safe but it did block the road for a week.

We missed all the floods but we did get some leak damage so I'll be doing some Gyprock work & repainting a couple of rooms.

Compared to some people we got off lightly. A lot of people up north lost everything. I've never seen so much rain for such a long time.
Attachments
20220308_161642_resized.jpg
20220206_175208_resized.jpg
20220206_140837_resized.jpg
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Glad you escaped the worst of it _Al_ without injury.

I have family up north, along the Clarence River - last I heard several of them had been evacuated but all were safe. Comms are not the best!
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)