A quick sortie yesterday with the Soarcerer. Went well

Ron.
F4BCCE62-646A-4DCD-8FFD-067D10496DFE.jpg
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Spike S

Re: Went Flying Today

Post by Spike S »

Carl wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 14:45 My landings are getting better :o :D
There are three secrets to a good landing. Unfortunately, nobody can remember what they are ! ;)
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
Carl

Post by Carl »

VC10 RON wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 13:49 A quick sortie yesterday with the Soarcerer. Went well

Ron.

F4BCCE62-646A-4DCD-8FFD-067D10496DFE.jpeg
Ron, do you mind if I copy how you did the Sourcerer label on your wing? That'll be in keeping with the Sourcerer I'd acquired on ebay.
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
Carl

Post by Carl »

Friday I'd managed loads of enjoyable flying with my Pushover on the site that has a slope. The slope doesn't produce enough lift for slope soaring, but was able to fly with little power :D

The video footage just shows launches and me bringing it in from behind for landings or flyby's. In between I was ensuring I kept it out and away from the slope as I've experienced many problems in the past with pockets of dead air that would case the model to stall. This caused a spell of taking home broken models :( not recently though :D

Carl

STILL LEARNING
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Carl wrote: 05 May 2019, 21:46
VC10 RON wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 13:49 A quick sortie yesterday with the Soarcerer. Went well

Ron.

F4BCCE62-646A-4DCD-8FFD-067D10496DFE.jpeg
Ron, do you mind if I copy how you did the Sourcerer label on your wing? That'll be in keeping with the Sourcerer I'd acquired on ebay.
No problem. Thanks for asking Carl.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
PaulJ

Old Warden

Post by PaulJ »

'Just had a terrific couple of days at Old Warden...... Yesterday was a bit windy but still got plenty of flying. Today was fantastic with very light winds, BIG Thermals and sunshine all day.
IMG_20190512_123114[1].jpg
It was great to see Phil there...... He found the flying so strenuous that he had to sit down for it!
IMG_20190512_122916[1].jpg
It's not often you can thermal soar a Coquette.......
IMG_20190409_180112.jpg
It normally glides like a brick but it caught a beauty and I had to spiral it down!

I took six models and flew them all with no more damage than a couple of holes in the tissue. All in all a memorable day. :P :P :P

Paul
Carl

Post by Carl »

A while ago I thought it was about time I got into the Sharkface action and today I maidened mine. It was built from one of Neil's kits. You'll notice after my first launch I was shocked at the response from the rudder, so will calm that down a little. Had some great fun with it once I'd wised up to the rudder :D :

Excuse the motor noise. I balanced the prop quickly but it seems there was still a little vibration.
Carl

STILL LEARNING
Carl

Post by Carl »

It was yesterday I went flying. The models with ailerons I've flown so far all have some dihedral, and have found that they turn without any other control input, and straighten up when the aileron stick is centred. I've used elevator to get tighter turns.

So yesterday was the first time I'd flown a model with a completely flat wing and can see the difference. Using ailerons would simply bank the model, but it wasn't until I put in a little up elevator that it induced the turn. To level the model some opposite aileron control was required. All carried out safely and controlled, so was happy with that followed by successful landings.
Carl

STILL LEARNING
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Carl, because of the differential pressure above and below the wing, the down going aileron creates more drag than the up going one and this causes the model to yaw in the opposite direction to the turn (adverse yaw). You can counter this with co-ordinated use of rudder but that is hard work and takes more co-odination than most people can muster. The other way is to arrange it so that ailerons go up more than they go down. There are various ways of doing this....... In the old days we did it simply by arranging the geometry of the horn and/or the servo arm but nowadays with all the fancy electronics you can often do it from the transmitter. The exact amount of differential will depend on the wing section and what you want to do with the model but generally speaking, if you arrange it so that UP:DOWN is in a ratio of about 3:2 you won't be far wrong. You will always need a little up elevator in an extended turn whether the model is turned by the rudder or ailerons.

Paul