Registering...

Anything you like!
jackdaw

Re: Registering...

Post by jackdaw »

Interesting about the burglary and the police actually attending. My understanding is that here in North Wales the police no longer attend and just give you a crime number over the phone. But, will this be different for model flying crime? It is a net cost to attend burglaries but for model flying crime there is money to be made as it will be a fixed penalty on the spot fine, according to 'fancy draws Vere'.

Police: "Gotcha you evil little man. This is going to cost you!"

Modeller: "But officer I was only showing my young son how to trim his free flight rubber powered model"

Police: "let me just weigh that on my regulation issued digital scales. Ah, 263gms! Your bang to rights. Hand over the £300 fine or else. But, as its your fist offence we'll let you off the charge of letting an under age person operate such a dangerous machine."

Modeller: "SIGH!"

That phrase, 'model flying crime' ugh! Criminalising flying of model planes, really! Have I slipped through a rift in the space time continuum and ended up in some bizarre totalitarian 'clown world'???
Carl

Post by Carl »

Boris Johnson wants to recruit 20,000 more police to combat real crime - they're out to get us :o
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

It's a fair old climb to the top of Middle Hope and Crook Peak is a 15 minute lung busting climb, there is absolutely no chance of encountering an on duty Police officer complete with anti stab vest, body cam, etc on top of either slopes.
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Lets get back on topic guys :D
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Carl

Post by Carl »

With everything being said about this registration thing, I've got myself confused :?

I get the fact if we're operating model aircraft below 250g we're not required to register them, but is it still a requirement to take the online test as a pilot if we only fly sub 250g? I've tried looking at the dreadful CAA chart that explains the registration process, but it's not clear.
Carl

STILL LEARNING
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

No need to take a test. But, to comply fully with the sub 250g requirements and bypass all this nonsense the plane must not be capable of flying faster than 19m/s(slippery DLG's probably don't comply), approx. 42 mph, and must be distance limited from the flyer to no more than 120m/400ft by low Tx RF power(put Tx in range check mode), how this can be considered safe is beyond me, or geofencing.
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

Having just passed the unwanted landmark of my 78th birthday and being a bit creaky I don't know how many more years of flying at my present rate I might have left, maybe 4 or 5 if I am lucky. As a consequence, if I still lived in the UK I would be actively ignoring all this c**p and carrying on regardless. Common sense dictates that nothing in this is going to remotely have any effect on drug smuggling by drone, potential terrorist activity or simply those stupid idiots who fly in airport approach zones - but to expect any politician/legislator to appreciate this would be asking for them to HAVE common sense, a commodity in notably short supply amongst these people (along with intelligence, honesty and integrity). Now I don't live in the UK, and if you think the proposed regulations there are a pig's breakfast, just imagine what the EU equivalents are going to be like after passing through the hands of the European Parliament and Commission, who are renowned for being able to make a mountain out of not just a mole hill but a single grain of sand. Couple this with the French love of documenting everything in quintuplicate and I was moved to ask my flying buddy and the owner/operator of our flying "piste", Pierre-Yves, what he intended to do to comply with future regulations. His response was to roar with laughter and make a very rude gallic gesture. So I guess I WILL be carrying on regardless!
Carl

Post by Carl »

jackdaw wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 13:32 No need to take a test. But, to comply fully with the sub 250g requirements and bypass all this nonsense the plane must not be capable of flying faster than 19m/s(slippery DLG's probably don't comply), approx. 42 mph, and must be distance limited from the flyer to no more than 120m/400ft by low Tx RF power(put Tx in range check mode), how this can be considered safe is beyond me, or geofencing.
Thanks for making the proposed sub 250g legislation clear. The interesting thing is, that anything that is sub 250g will be too small to see clearly at 120m. Any smaller model I fly, I always keep close in and well within 120m - imagine the 100m sprint is quite a distance and something like a Sharkface won't be easy to see that far away. No fun in flying a speck in the distance :)
Carl

STILL LEARNING
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Sundancer wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 19:48 Now I don't live in the UK, and if you think the proposed regulations there are a pig's breakfast, just imagine what the EU equivalents are going to be like after passing through the hands of the European Parliament and Commission, who are renowned for being able to make a mountain out of not just a mole hill but a single grain of sand. Couple this with the French love of documenting everything in quintuplicate and I was moved to ask my flying buddy and the owner/operator of our flying "piste", Pierre-Yves, what he intended to do to comply with future regulations. His response was to roar with laughter and make a very rude gallic gesture. So I guess I WILL be carrying on regardless!
As far as I understand, CAA CAP 1789 is based on the EU document Regulation (EU) 2019/947. It requires all EU members to have a registration system, so there is no getting away from that. The French have sensibly made this registration free (zero Euro's) whereas the UK proposes to charge £16.50 based on 100,000 people registering.

Also (EU) 2019/947 paragraph 27 states:-

"(27) Since model aircraft are considered as UAS and given the good safety level demonstrated by model aircraft operations in clubs and associations, there should be a seamless transition from the different national systems to the new Union regulatory framework, so that model aircraft clubs and associations can continue to operate as they do today, as well as taking into account existing best practices in the Member States."

France, together with Germany, Italy and I assume all the other EU states have decided to follow this guidance, so model aircraft can continue to be flown as at present. Meanwhile, the British Government has decided to ignore this and to bunch model aircraft in with "drones", so we need tests, restricted flying sites etc. B@st@ards.

This is why the BMFA are fighting the CAA/DoT about this decision as the EU doesn't require it. Many of us are asking for repeated meetings with our local MP's, to try to canvas them into changing their minds. There is hope as this decision was taken by the then Transport Secretary Chris Grayling who has made a complete mess of every department he has been at. Luckily he has gone and we now have Grant Chapps, who my local MP tells me is far more capable and does listen to reason.

So if you live in France you can continue flying quite legally, just don't come home to the UK and expect the same!

Mike