Flying field closures due to coronavirus

Anything you like!
PaulJ

Re: Flying field closures due to coronavirus

Post by PaulJ »

Sundancer, my closing remark did have an exclamation mark after it and was intended to be lighthearted and in the spirit of "making the best of a bad job"........ Now I have added a "wink" as well so I hope no-one else will misconstrue it!

Of course it is a very serious situation and you have my sympathy. I think similar restrictions here are overdue as I have met a couple of "boneheads" who think it is all a fuss over nothing..... :roll:

Paul
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

PaulJ wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 13:12 Sundancer, my closing remark did have an exclamation mark after it and was intended to be lighthearted and in the spirit of "making the best of a bad job"........ Now I have added a "wink" as well so I hope no-one else will misconstrue it!

Of course it is a very serious situation and you have my sympathy. I think similar restrictions here are overdue as I have met a couple of "boneheads" who think it is all a fuss over nothing..... :roll:

Paul
Sorry Paul, I wasn't being "snippy" and I did realise that you meant the closing remark in a humorous manner. As for "boneheads" well, every country has some of those, gosh, one of them is even president of the USA!! Then we have the selfish panic buyers and stock pilers who greedily strip the supermarket shelves when, by acting with common sense and decency there would be plenty for everyone, I despair. It makes me think that, perhaps, we have had it too good for too long - how would they cope if confronted with what my parents generation went through in WWII in having to live on miniscule rations of essential food?

We will certainly get through this thing, it just may be a very long haul and we can all make it a bit easier for each other by behaving as civilised human beings not self-centred neanderthals! But I still NEED to go flying to preserve my sanity!! :lol:
Martin

Post by Martin »

One of the clubs I'm in, the committee members have spoken with the farmer, and they've all agreed that we can still fly there - using sensible precautions.

It's moot at the moment though as the field is still too waterlogged to fly from.

There remains the possibility of a no-travel ban, as described by Sundancer, being imposed here in the UK - but that's not happened yet. I went for a walk around the village two nights ago (keeping well away from the few other people that were on the streets) but looking through the windows of restaurants and pubs, they seemed to still have about 50% of the usual occupancy. There are plenty of people in the UK that are choosing to ignore the 'no socializing' advice.
Martin

Post by Martin »

BMFA now advising, "Don't go to the flying field." https://bmfa.org/News/News-Page/Article ... -23-3-2020
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Superseded by the PM's address to the nation at 20:30. It's now compulsory to stay at home except for very limited specific reasons. Do a search and you'll find a video of the address.
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

Expect things to get worse before they get better. Here we have just had a further tightening of the restrictions I outlined in an earlier post. We can now only leave the house for exercise once per day, only for a maximum of 1 hour and must stay within 1 km of home. Necessary food shopping is similarly curtailed, only one person in the car and the till receipt must be retained for inspection if stopped. Nothing for it but to hunker down take every possible precaution and make the best of it, we have had two deaths locally and, frankly, it is all getting pretty scary. Stay safe everyone, bonne sante et bon courage.
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

Whereas here in the UK, the police have been censured for actually imposing the (IMHO far too low) fines that they have been given the power to hand out!!!!!

I would be shocked - if the world hadn't already gone to rats.....
F2B

Post by F2B »

F2B wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 06:46 Here in the Netherlands, all official flying sites are closed as of yesterday.
So far, April 6th has been named as a first evaluation date.
That won't be the end of this, I'm afraid...
And yes, as per yesterday, next evaluation on April 28th... :|
F2B or not to be....
Martin

Post by Martin »

BMFA now advising that from this Wednesday (May 13th) we can return to flying (in England only - not Scotland, Wales, nor Northern Ireland) providing that:
  • We have the landowner's permission - this will most likely be the biggest hurdle to overcome.
  • We maintain social distancing of two metres or greater.
  • We don't touch anything belonging to people not from our own household.
  • We use gloves and sanitizer before/after when handling gates, padlocks and similar.
Personally, I don't see the point of gloves. We don't catch the virus through our skin, and the virus can survive just as well on the surface of a glove as the surface of your hand. Most people don't know how to put gloves on and off without touching the outer surface of the gloves with their hands, and if the gloves are thrown into a car to be reused later, they just harbour any virus that may be present and spread it around. Much better just to wash or disinfect your hands after touching anything, and be sure not to touch your face until your hands have been cleaned.