How is "Lockdown" going for you?

Anything you like!
tiptipflyer

Re: How is "Lockdown" going for you?

Post by tiptipflyer »

Thanks Paul, it is landing, about to touch down.

Frank
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Great looking aircraft Frank. Very nice👏😉
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Yesterday I had my first flying outing since well before the pandemic - it was ab fab 8-)

I flew the SIGMA viewtopic.php?f=29&t=369&start=30#p8682(Vital stats:)
  • Motor 2212 13T 1000kV (edit)
  • Prop 7.5" x 4.5" folding
  • ESC 20A HK (edit)
  • Battery 2 x Bolt 550 Mah 2S in parallel making 1100 Mah 2S2P
  • Power 180W measured
  • Radio 1+1 Tx (using ATTiny85 encoder & Phil's code)
  • Mass 455g
and

My trusty Dick's Dream which has Tobe's rand replica actuator running on Phil's GG coder - a very well matched combination.
  • Prop 7" x 3.5"
  • ESC 30A yellow no-name
  • Battery Zippy 1300 ma 2S
Cheers,

Wayne
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Just to show you, that I am not sleeping lazy behind the oven:
It will not really fit in this forum, but the original one is at least a vintage jet.
Some years ago, I had the chance to fly a Jet Provost (G-VIVM) at North Weald Airfield. That was a great experience I will never forget.
So I had to have a model of it when I saw the plan in RCM6E from Tony Nijhuis.
Last tuesday was the maiden flight. It is really a great little model and flies also fantastic.
JetProvost4.JPG
JetProvost2.JPG
Frank

PS: No, I will not fly it on the button or on reeds, but I can use a vintage prop radio to do it.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

'Lovely plane and lovely model, it really looks the part! I have always liked the JP..... There is a privately owned one that graces the skies around my house sometimes. I'm not a jealous kind of bloke but that JP makes me know what it must feel like! :P

Paul
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Alas, it seems that there's even more COVID doom & gloom being "reported"(:o?) now than previously :cry:, including dire stories from North America, Europe, the UK & Asia.

I hope you & yours are all still safe & well. Take care & please share your Lockdown Projects.

Meanwhile, ponder this. You are:
  • relocating to another country for 12-18 months, &
  • You & your wife are each limited to 2 x 25kg pieces of luggage, plus carry-on, &
  • you will be staying in a small furnished ('bed-sit' style) B&B, &
  • the objective is to save as much as possible to complete your dream retirement home upon your return, &
  • you have to undergo at least 2 weeks compulsory (hotel based) quarantine upon arrival after surviving 1 international and 2 x internal flights
Besides the mundane but essential clothes, toiletries, meds, etc., what "essential" retro stuff do you try & take with you?
Cheers,

Wayne
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Nine months to build, about a minute to destroy! :cry:

This was my "Lockdown Project". Admittedly I haven't been working on it full time and I have converted several radios in the meantime but I started this leccy glider at the beginning of lockdown and flew it (I use the term loosely) for the first time yesterday. Fortunately I took the pictures before flying it!
20210102_140524.jpg
20210102_140534.jpg
A test glide straight down the field seemed OK so then there was nothing for it but to turn the motor on and chuck it....... It climbed away quite nicely but the elevator was a bit twitchy and "rudder" response quite sluggish. So after a few gentle turns I decided to land it for adjustments. I started a turn onto base leg....... It dropped a wing and there simply wasn't enough Rudder authority (or height) to recover. Damage was "extensive"...... The ground was fairly soft but suffice it to say that I had to go back with a spade to dig the motor out! :roll:

I think the CG was a bit far aft and it needed more "Rudder" movement but it showed promise...... 'Pity. Perhaps it was tempting fate to call it "Corona"!

I'll let the Sun go down a few more times before deciding whether or not to repair it. :cry:

Paul
Martin

Post by Martin »

That's a shame. If you do decide to rebuild it, I recommend adding a few degrees of dihedral where the wings join the fuselage (and still keep the tip dihedral too). It's dihedral that allows non-aileron models to turn.

I've noticed that my V-tail gliders (which do have ailerons) all have less rudder authority than my conventionally tailed ones, but I think with a bit more dihedral and (perhaps) slightly larger ruddervators (with lots of rudder mixing but not much elevator) then your Corona should perform well.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Damn Paul, that is a PIA :x :cry: . Good looking aeroplane too.

I've had quite a few v-tail sailplanes & even a few v-tail powererd models, still have at least 4. I agree with Martin - with such a high aspect ratio and small lateral area, you do need more dihedral otherwise it will yaw then skid but won't roll - the secondary effect you need for your primary control. You'll also need probably twice as much rudder throw as elevator throw.

If as part of the rebuild you can also increase the dihedral on the outer panels by a few degrees, that will also significantly improve things. You have to rebuild it - everybody knows the Corona Mkll works much better than the original :lol: :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Thanks chaps...... The pictures are a bit deceptive and the wing doesn't look quite so droopy in the flesh but yes, it probably could do with a bit more dihedral. The centre dihedral can't be increased because the wing joiner is a straight-through 8mm carbon spar and such dihedral as there is, was achieved by angling the tube in the wing and the wing wasn't thick enough to angle it any more. The v-tail mix was fixed at 50/50 because that is what comes in Phil's encoder but I could have increased the movement by moving the snake conection down the horn.

At the moment I am not minded to repair it, there is so much to do that I might as well build another model! The best thermal soarer I ever built was a Monterey....... I still have my original one which must be the best part of 40 years old now so I think I may build another of those and electrify it. :?

Paul.