How is "Lockdown" going for you?

Anything you like!
tiptipflyer

Re: How is "Lockdown" going for you?

Post by tiptipflyer »

Our flying fields are open again since last weekend. So yesterday and today I had a go.
Only three flyers present at the field, no problem to keep the distances.
Beautifull weather, light winds, all my newly renovated aircraft had their second maiden flight.
Aircraft can be checked here:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=943&start=13
All were flying great, especially the Leima Cessna 172 is a great flyer. I am very pleased.
All motors had plenty of power. The motors, propellers and number of cells were chosen by sense of "visual estimate". Will say by experience only, no calculations were made.

Frank
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

We could legally go flying from Monday last with relaxation of the "stay within 1 km of home" rule and the permitting of socially distanced gatherings of up to 10 people. Guess what, since Sunday night it has - rained, blown or, just for variety, rained AND blown! Still I have some hopes for the weekend.

I must just say that I find an earlier poster's "conspiracy theory" somewhat hard to swallow. Are we expected to believe that all the elected governments in Europe - and elsewhere - are conspiring to facilitate a new age of police states? And looking at the UK, I can hardly envisage that it would be in the best interests of Boris, having just been elected with his "stonking majority" to engineer the collapse of the economy into what threatens to be the worst recession for 100 years. No, I think that once the virus was on the loose, without the draconian and unpleasant measures taken we would have witnessed a catastrophic situation.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

End of week eight and the most exciting thing that has happened here ( :roll: ) is that our bluetits eggs hatched five days ago :P
DSCN0272[1].JPG
For us, not much has changed despite the easing of restrictions. 'Been flying a couple of times and the good weather today certainly seemed to draw people out, only time will tell if lockdown is being eased too soon..... :?

Paul
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Another week has gone by...... can it really be nine weeks? People do seem to be venturing out more and with the easing of restrictions, we ventured out to the beach a couple of days ago. There were quite a few people there but "social distancing" seemed to be being observed quite well. We even treated ourselves to some fish and chips! Thankfully Half-Term means that we get a break from home schooling but otherwise not much has changed. Our Bluetits have grown incredibly quickly, all seven of the eggs hatched but only five chicks have survived. I think they will probably leave the nest before the week is out.......
DSCN0310[1].JPG
:? 'Anybody gone mad yet? :?

Paul
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

With the easing of restrictions from May 11th things are - very cautiously - approaching a "new normal" here. On the flying front I have had half a dozen outings to the field at Vayres and discovered that I have at least not forgotten how to fly! Some of these have been solo outings but the ones below were our first "club" flying session on May 17th, as you can see social distancing was being carefully observed and everyone is behaving quite properly. It was good to be back
17may3.jpg
17may4.jpg
Of course most shops are still shut, as are cafes, bars and restaurants so our pleasant outings for coffee and lunches are still not possible. However, we did venture into our lovely old town of Rochechouart this morning for an essential visit to the post office (and what an epic that was - strict social distancing with a masked employee vetting each person at the door and letting in one at a time, wearing of a mask obligatory and no cash accepted, payment by card only) and discovered that the PMU bar was doing take out coffees and "Peggy's" our favourite patisserie (where we usually have our morning coffee) was open for buying croissants, so for the first time in two months we were able to sit in the sunny square, remove our masks and enjoy a coffee and croissant breakfast. It felt like a real treat.

I have noticed that, with the easing of restrictions, there seems to be a difference of approach emerging between the demographics - middle aged and older people are careful about keeping their distance, wearing masks, sanitising hands and items purchased in the shops - younger people are much more cavalier, no masks, disregarding the floor markings in supermarkets and worryingly likely to come too close. I suppose this is natural, I remember too well thinking that I was immortal but I hope this attitude doesn't come back and bite them - or more likely me - in the bum! As Ali and I are firmly in the "at risk" group we shall continue to be cautious and careful, even if it is somewhat inconvenient at times.
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

Phil_G wrote: 26 May 2020, 12:54 Yours sounds like a proper retirement George, it looks idylic - I'm jealous :D
You're further south than I'd imagined, dont know why but I had Brittany in mind.
Your Lulu brought back some memories of lazy summer sundays on callow.... ;)
Yes, it hasn't been a bad life here for the last 14 years Phil, despite being a bit limited in the mobility area now I hope to still have another couple of years of flying left in me and am very keen not to have it cut short by this blasted virus! Callow Bank? Ah yes, memories of many happy hours spent in the Cheshire and Derbyshire hills, of meeting up with the Sheffield SA crew, Trevor Faulkner, Graham Freeston, et al, of flying Impalas, Soarcerers, Phase 2s, Amigos Big Eagle etc. Probably before your time!
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Sundancer wrote: 26 May 2020, 13:46Probably before your time!
Not at all George - I remember them all very well, in fact it turned out that Brenda (Grahams wife) is some distant relative... my Dad joined the pair of us when I was 10, 1965. Trevors magnet models were a delight, I often wonder what he would make of modern flight controllers, gps & magnetometer controlled models.
You might also remember from that era Phil Scaife, Stan Groves, Terry Gregory, John Shaw, Jack Rose, Paul Mcandlish, 'Farty Pete' Ibbotson, Frank Thomas, Ken Emmett, Dave Hill, Chris Dumville, my own pals Stuart Ward, Pete Mallender, Neil Johnson and many more....
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

You must be older than you look Phil! I can put faces to 90% of the names you mention and particularly remember Phil Scaife, John Shaw and Ken Emmett. The Sheffield SA was one of the clubs that I used to visit to give talks to, I think the last time must have been in the 1990's, somewhere in the computer files I have a copy of the "Gladys" newsletter reporting the event. I always enjoyed my visits there.

Of course in the heyday of thermal soaring and the BARCS league from 1975 to 1990 the Sheffield thermal team and my own BATS (Bramhall Area Thermal and Slope Soaring Society) contest team were deadly but always friendly rivals and we had some great clashes.
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Here are some pictures of one of my lockdown projects.
It is a Cessna 172 from a german company called "Leima". Only very few people will ever heard from it.
I built it as a teenager in 1974 and it is now restored and put back into flying condition.
It is now electric powered and flying better than ever.
N751BK-C172Modell-WestAirAviation-27_05_2020-Porz-3.jpg
N751BK-C172Modell-WestAirAviation-27_05_2020-Porz-4.jpg
About to touch down
About to touch down
Cheers
Frank
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Great pics Frank, paticularly the one where it is only just airborne. Is it landing or taking off?

Paul