3D printed module holders.

Like B&Q for homebrew radios
rudderonlybird

3D printed module holders.

Post by rudderonlybird »

Some time ago, I saw a reference to a printed module holder/receptacle for these 2.4G conversions. Do any here remember if there was such a reference?

Marc
Martin

Re: 3D printed module holders.

Post by Martin »

I made a 3d-printed single-channel case that accepted a Futaba-sized module in a bay on the back. But I guess that's not what most people want. JR-sized modules are more popular, despite being bigger.

How do you want to mount the receptacle? Flush in the back of a transmitter case - so the module is removable without opening the case?
rudderonlybird

Post by rudderonlybird »

That is one idea, another is, I installed a FrSky 2.5 plug-in module for a JR radio in an Ace R/C Kraft Tone Transmitter a few years ago, using double-sided foam tape and balsa blocks for spacing the RF deck in alignment with the original antenna hole. Only thing giving away what's inside is the 2.4G antenna :) Works OK, kinda crude, and was hoping for something a little better. Perhaps an aluminum bracket inside the box to tying down the holder without the tape. Which way it gets done depends on how some things juxtapose with other things...the mechanics, encoder, even the battery. I've been drawn to using alkaline cells for power. Simply change them out when needed, don't worry about chargers and if the transmitter is ready for an opportunistic, unplanned day of flying. I've had 'C' cells last all summer of flying, maybe a dozen flights or more. An ESV lets me keep track of what is going on inside.

It's for a DeeBee Quadruplex CL-5. If you look at the "Oddball Single Stick Radios" thread, page 4, about half way down the page, that's the one. Don't know how to link it. Loads of room inside.

Just looking for a neat way to do it.

Marc
Martin

Post by Martin »

I found this one on Thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1148788
moduleHolder.gif
I could maybe design one with some 'mounting ears' and a backplate to locate the pin connector in the right position? You need some extra-long header pins to get a reliable connection, I found, when I made my single channel transmitter. You can find some pin headers on Ebay that are longer, thinner, double-sided and even gold-plated. They are more like the connectors you find inside the module bays of quality transmitters.