Multi Protocol DIY Module

Like B&Q for homebrew radios
_shadow_

Multi Protocol DIY Module

Post by _shadow_ »

DIY Module.PNG
Gents,

I stumbled into this whilst looking for a viable replacement for the favorite FRSKY V8HT DIY module.

Got one en route to me, will report back on it goes.

Has anyone tried it?

https://www.banggood.com/2_4G-CC2500-NR ... &ID=521276

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDeRIGQFtEE&t=410s

Regards
Marcus
Attachments
PPM Protocols.PNG
Mike_K

Re: Multi Protocol DIY Module

Post by Mike_K »

I've used a few and got mixed feelings about them and quite a few other members on the forum tried them last year as at the time there were no good alternatives, but I think most have stopped using them because of the issues. They have their good and bad points, but in my opinion, for our application, the bad outweighs the good especially as there are some very good alternatives now available.

Starting with the good points
  • They are readily available at a reasonable cost.
  • They cover the majority of protocols commonly used in R/C, with the exception of Jeti and Futaba FASST (which uses a chipset not included with 4-in-1 modules).
  • They can work with a ppm input which is what an Arduino based encoders or the original transmitter encoder will output.
  • If you have an OpenTx transmitter they are brilliant and the Jumper 4IN1 module is highly recommended
So what is wrong with them for our application?
  • The Banggood sourced ones are not very reliable, I bought three, one was dead-on-arrival, another failed and the other is still working, but that isn't a good record and can't be recommended.
  • The Jumper 4in1 modules I've bought have been 100% reliable, but are supplied without the selector switch or bind button as it's assumed it'll be used in an OpenTx transmitter where it's all done from the menu. You'll need to buy a 16 position switch and tactile switch if you plan to use it.
  • They are designed for use in a JR-module bay, so are not as convenient as specifically designed DIY modules such as FrSky XHT, DHT and V8HT or the more recent LemonRx DSMP DIY modules.
  • In ppm mode they don't always (usually?) work out of the box for FrSky, Futaba or Hitec protocols (or any other that uses the CC2500), but have to be tuned. Yes really, they have to be tuned to a receiver! This is easy in an OpenTx transmitter, but laborious in a conversion
  • The documentation supplied with most of them is misleading as their firmware was updated years ago and they operate completely differently to the supplied instructions. Update the firmware and just refer to Pascal Langers official documentation https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Mul ... -TX-Module
  • The DSM2/DSMX support in PPM mode is also a pain as you have to select from one of 6/8 channel, 11/22mS, DSM2/DSMX which gives eight protocol options. In serial mode in an OpenTx it auto-selects, so is very usable
Most of this has been covered in previous posts, try having a look through here:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=881&hilit=Jumper

If you have trouble getting it working with a FrSky V8 Rx, I did a pdf of how to tune them in a converted transmitter, but if you have an OpenTx transmitter, it's so much easier, I bought a cheap Jumper T16 just for that job.

Mike
_shadow_

Post by _shadow_ »

Mike,

Thanks for your valuable input, it does sound like it's not up to the job.

Banggood didn't ship my order as the item was in backorder, I have cancelled the order.

Regards
Marcus
jmendoza

Post by jmendoza »

I have used the 4-in-1 versions with the rotary switch. The main pain in the arse is downloading all the updated files from the github site Pascal has created. Most of the information on that site is dedicated to the serial versions that are for Taranis .FrSky type transmitters. For PPM it is a bit vague as most guys do not use these modules for conversions of older 72 MHz and earlier transmitters. In addition, although these modules do cover a huge amount of different protocols and allow you to do almost everything other than Futab FASST, they are more expensive and bulky that the Lemon RC DSMP DIY modules.

I can only fit these plug-in modules in certain transmitter cases, and in most instances, it requires they be removed from their plastic case. The instructions, as mentioned, are often horrible translations and therefore cryptic as they use odd terminology.
I still have three of these, brand new, that I programmed and updated, but have not used them since the Lemon DSMP DIY modules became available.

Jay