FlySky RM002 RF Module & R6B receiver

Like B&Q for homebrew radios
Phil_G

FlySky RM002 RF Module & R6B receiver

Post by Phil_G »

In an old thread Ade asked if the Flysky RM002 RF module was suitable for the S/C Emulation Encoder.
Now I've heard that some have used FlySky but had never tried them myself. Not wanting to promote something I'd not tried, I ordered a module & receiver from Banggood. Under £20 for the pair, delivered!

Flysky-FS-GT3-Telemetry-Module-FS-RM002
FS-R6B-FlySky-2_4Ghz-6CH-AFHDS-Receiver

As soon as they arrived, I tried them with a S/C encoder and it works perfectly, so thats now another confirmed option for tranny builders & converters.

A few points to note:
The module is only available in JR-style, which is a bit bigger than the Futaba-style.
It does make it easy to recess the whole module into the back of the tranny like my orange Flysky S/C,
but its awkward if you really do want the module mounted internally.

fs1.jpg

fs2.jpg

Another thing is the JR format is quite big when you're used to the smaller Futaba format.
But its cheap as chips and works astonishingly well so fill yer boots!
Like many JR modules, it needs to see a voltage swing on the PPM input, open-collector (or schottky-isolated PPM) will not drive it.
The aerial is a permanent fixture, its not a screw-on RP-SMA as you might expect. These two points might influence your installation.
The connector pin-out IS DIFFERENT to a Futaba-style module ! please double check before connecting up.
The PPM/Power connection socket isnt very deep - the pins will only go in about 5mm then they hit the board - dont force them any further!
Binding is very quick, the module uses the usual press-button on power up and the receiver uses a Spektrum-style bind plug in the rx battery plug.
The range is superb, see later post, this is a full-range receiver and I dont expect any problems whatsoever.
I've not read a manual or anything regarding failsafe yet, the default after binding is for the rx to stop pulsing on failsafe, which will cut an electric ESC but will leave an IC throttle servo at the last commanded position. I'm sure they have proper failsafe, I just haven't learned how to do it yet.
I tried positive and negative-going PPM (ie 0v pulsing to 5v, and 5v pulsing to 0v) and it works equally well with either.
Finally, to repeat ad nausium, FlySky is not Frsky. They use a different chipset (Frsky uses CC2500, Flysky uses AMIC A7105) and are therefore different products and mutually incompatible.

filec17a.jpg

file869e.jpg

Pinout demonstrated on an Orange JR-Style module - FlySky RM002 is the same.
With only a very small mod to the Futaba connector, its possible to piggy-back mount the S/C Encoder onto the FlySky module.

file07fb.jpg
file07fb.jpg (26.97 KiB) Viewed 4836 times

Heres a receiver compatibility chart, where it says 'TH9X' that means the RM002 module:

flysky_chart.jpg

Was at the Elvington LMA event last year, & took some gear to range-test as the huge size and open space makes it ideal for full-power ground-range checks.
Propped the FlySky RM002 module in the back window of the van, set the encoder to servo-sweep and set off on my bicycle with the rx,battery & servo (R6B single-antenna full-range receiver, not the park-fly R6A). Without a single interruption of the signal I reached the very end of the runway, still with a solid LED and smoothly sweeping servo, but I was unable to ride any further, there was no access. Checked the distance on Google Earth and it was almost a kilometre!
At that point I cycled the rx power a few times to check the re-link time at extreme distance and it was pretty much instant every time.
This is a very impressive ground-range for such a cheap & cheerful combination, and of course air-range will be much greater. Very impressed!

flysky_module_range.jpg

I wasnt sure about compatibility with the tiny WL Toys 'brick' receivers so I went to Banggood to order a couple - however the ones I wanted (911/929) were out of stock.

After a bit more digging on RCG I chose the F949 boards, still not 100% sure what they would work with.
They arrived this morning and they work great with either the RM002 module or the FSi6 transmitter set to AFHDS - the old Flysky protocol used by the micro brick receivers.

Its worth repeating that like many JR modules, the RM002 needs to see a voltage swing on the PPM input, open-collector (or schottky-isolated PPM) will not drive it.
The 5v output from a PIC or Arduino is ideal. All the module circuitry is hidden under a tinplate screen so I have no idea what protection there is on the PPM input, so as a precaution I've always used a series 1k resistor in the PPM connection - this probably isnt necessary.

Internally, the module is in two parts, joined by a soldered 7-way header.
There's the RF section itself (the shiny bit on the right in the picture), and a carrier board (the green PCB on the left) which has the 5-way 'JR' module connection socket, bind button, and a common-or-garden 7805 linear voltage regulator (5v). The two boards can therefore be separated to ease a tight installation, the green bit can be discarded, and the connections can be made directly to the RF board, ie: +5v, 0v, bind button (connects to 0v when pressed), and PPM.
Some Arduino 5v regulators are more substantial than others - if its at least (say) a 200mA component then it should drive the Flysky module ok.
Unfortunately the aerial is soldered rather than a U.FL but as long as you're careful & dont twist or pull the coax, its fine.
Separating the boards is Franks idea and a very good one, he used it on his Engel "Handy" transmitter where space is very tight:

flysky_diy.jpg

Finally, here's my Flysky S/C transmitter, used with the R6B receiver in my Blunderbird!

fs3.jpg
RON
Site Admin

Re: FlySky RM002 RF Module & R6B receiver

Post by RON »

That was a great day at Elvington Phil, If I remember rightly it was when the Vulcan XH558 did a flypast.
Thats one heck of a range!!

Ron
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
MaxZ

Re: FlySky RM002 RF Module & R6B receiver

Post by MaxZ »

Hi,
Does anyone know if and where I could buy a FlySky FS-RM0002 module? I have a bunch of HK GT2R 3 channel receivers operated with the AFHDS protocol, and a cheap pistol grip Tx, and I want to convert an old Robbe 2 channel Tx to 2.4 GHz. ( no Phil, not the same one ;) ) I looked into butchering the pistol grip Tx and extract the HF board, but it is intimately mated with the main board, and the connections are not identified afa. I can see.

Cheers,
Max.