FrSky DHT Alternatives

Like B&Q for homebrew radios
Mike_K

FrSky DHT Alternatives

Post by Mike_K »

Now that the FrSky DHT stocks appear to have run out what is everybody planning to use as an alternative?

There's the OrangeRx DIY module, but not everybody wants to use DSMX receivers. And it's CE markings are a bit dubious.

The rest all appear to be housed in JR or Futaba style cases and are a bit bulky, even with their cases removed and are not as convienient as the DHT.

As FrSky has dropped the DHT, one would assume that the FrSky DJT modules days must be numbered. All the 4-in-1 modules work well, but none appear to have a CE mark. I've only tried one FrSky XJT module and it works well but was a right pain to take the case off and repackage as a DIY module. I've never tried the FlySky modules to know if they are OK or not.

Then there's the Spektrum DX6i module. I've got one up and running happily with an Arduino Nano encoder and have been flying with it for a few sessions without problems, so that is a possibility. But donor DX6i are expensive and the DX4e and DX5e modules are a right pain to desolder from their circuit boards. And you need an additional circuit board with a 3.3V regulator for powering the module.

Are there any modules out there that I've missed that would be suitable to use for 2.4GHz conversions?

Cheers

Mike
MaxZ

Re: FrSky DHT Alternatives

Post by MaxZ »

Mike_K wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 10:41 I've never tried the FlySky modules to know if they are OK or not.
I am using the FlySky module (RM0003), and it seems fine. But you have to remember to reverse the PPM polarity: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=695

Cheers,
Max
Scott Todd

Post by Scott Todd »

I have probably had 10 Orange DIY modules almost all of them have died. They install and work fine. Then a few months later when I go to turn them on, dead! I have been super careful about wiring them up. I would avoid those.

The Orange ones for JR or Futaba are not that bad out of the case. I have used several. They work well and I have never had one fail.

I have take some of the 4-in1 ones out too. A bit bulkier but they work well.

I have collected a few of the Tactic AnyLink ones and read all the conversions threads on them. I have flown them as intended but have not taken one out and integrated it inside a Vintage radio yet. They seem to work well. The downfall to them is the antenna has to be soldered on and they only advertise a 1000 ft range. This is fine for sloping or a park flyer but be advised. They do have the CE marking.

Good luck :)
Last edited by Scott Todd on 11 Dec 2019, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Scott Todd wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 19:18 I have probably had 10 Orange DIY modules almost all of them have died.
I can only speak as I find but over the last few years I have done 27 conversions of which (I think) 22 have used the Orange DIY module and not one has failed......

Paul
Last edited by PaulJ on 11 Dec 2019, 19:14, edited 2 times in total.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I've ordered a FlySky module and receiver to try out and another FrSky XJT to see if it seems any easier second time around to convert it into a DIY module (case removed and covered in heat shrink).

I have to admit that I've used a number of OrangeRx DIY modules without a single problem, but they aren't always available, it seems that Hobby Kong gets a batch, the when sold out wait for enough "notifications" before re-stocking.

Mike
Scott Todd

Post by Scott Todd »

I fixed my spelling/grammar hacks if Paul wants to update the quote :)

A local fellow modeler that I got into playing with Arduino bought 3 or 4 DIY modules. They all failed.

Eric (KraftyOne) from Down Under sent me a Kraft 7CH with a DIY module in it. Its dead.

Obviously I am the common denominator but Eric's conversion? I didn't even take the back off before it failed!

I live in Arizona. Maybe static has somehow killed them?

I just don't know...
Bo Edstrom

Post by Bo Edstrom »

I plan to use Jeti Duplex TU2 EX 2.4 GHz internal module in some conversions soon. I live in Europe (Sweden).
I see no reasons it should not work as good as anything else. But they are almost prohibited expensive except maybe to have in a few transmitters.
But it is very nice (but expensive) Jeti receivers to use as well as external Jetibox Profi if one want, and many telemetry sensors if one should need that also.
I will start with one Jeti Duplex TU2 EX and see how it goes.
To bad the FrSky DHT module is out of production, that I would prefer in low cost conversions I think.

Jeti Duplex TU2 EX:
http://www.jetimodel.com/en/katalog/Dup ... ex-TU2-EX/

I will probably use Jeti Duplex TU2 EX in a few transmitters I will use more often, or if I fly more expensive models with a converted radio (will probably not happen often).

Jeti Duplex TU2 EX conform to European regulations and is CE marked, but I do not know if it is FCC "approved":
http://www.jetimodel.com/en/show-file/874/

/Bo

Last edited by Bo Edstrom on 15 Dec 2019, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Bo Edstrom wrote: 14 Dec 2019, 18:19 I plan to use Jeti Duplex TU2 EX 2.4 GHz internal module in some conversions soon.
Hi Bo

Thanks for the link, I was not aware that they did modules. I have a very high regard for Jeti products, their quality is amongst the best. What a shame the prices are so high compared to FrSky for the modules and receivers. I have ordered a Tu2 Ex module and 8 channel receiver to test. While I have never had a single problem with the FrSky DHT modules with V8 or D8 receivers or OrangeRx DIY modules with Spektrum or Lemon receivers, I would feel more confident flying my £1000+ vintage F3A aerobatic models with a Jeti module.

I have also found that there is an even more expensive Futaba TM-FH module for their S-FHSS receivers, it makes the Jeti look like a bargain. Unless somebody asks me to convert a transmitter and insist on Futaba, I doubt I'll ever buy one.

So shortly I should have a Jeti, FrSky XJT, FlySky and Corona to try out. Looks like I'll be busy converting in the new year.

Cheers

Mike
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Most of Jeti's products are available in the US and are properly FCC marked and are imported by Esprit Model
Cheers,

Tobe
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Having (above) expounded the virtues of the Orange DIY Module, I now have to report my first failure! There are "extenuating circumstances" which may or may not be the cause and I would appreciate the views of those who know more about these things than I do........

The tranny in question was a recent conversion which I was binding to a new model and it was working perfectly. Then I got called away and didn't get back out to the shed until the next day....... and I have to admit that I had forgotten to turn the transmitter off :oops: . When I got back to it the battery (2S lipo) was completely flat. A new battery was fitted but now the transmitter doesn't work...... Does the panel think this could be just bad luck and a coincident failure or could it be due to it being left on? :?

Paul