FrSky DHT Alternatives

Like B&Q for homebrew radios
Mike_K

Re: FrSky DHT Alternatives

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Paul

Do you want to "borrow" an OrangeRX DIY module? I've had a couple arrive this week, but won't need one of them for a while, so you could replace it when yours arrive.

Out of interest, I wonder which bit failed in the OrangeRx? When powered up does the LED still illuminate? The reason I ask is that the module uses an ATXmega processor, a more modern version to that used in an Arduino, so it's unlikely to have failed. If no LED then it's probably the voltage regulator which is (I think) a Microchip MCP1703 smd that's failed. It should be possible to replace this. If the LED is working then I'd have no idea!

Cheers

Mike
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

I have replaced a few voltage regulators both on Orange as on the original Spectrum as this showed up from the beginning to be a weak spot from day one when I was involved with testing the Spectrum in the early days. The first one you could even hear them!
I should probably have hidden on the bottom of some of my many boxes a few Microchip MCP1703, they are quite cheap, just to remember they come in all kind of shapes. You could easy test them with a regular multi tester. One of the reason they are delicate is their rating of only 250mA
I have noticed on several Orange modules cold soldering in the hole thru components like LED's, push buttons and the connectors so it's worth to go thru them with an iron.
Attachments
MCP1703.JPG
MCP1703.JPG (28.19 KiB) Viewed 3253 times
Cheers,

Tobe
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Many thanks for all the responses...... Mike, thanks for the offer but I won't need to borrow one because my last order was for seven modules and so far I have only used four of them. It just means that one of the other projects will have to wait but I wasn't about to do that one yet anyway! No, the LED isn't working so maybe it is the voltage regulator that has gone.....? Tobe, I will have a look at it and see if I can recognise any of the components in your diagram and report back...... However I am in a full-blown panic getting ready for Christmas so it may have to wait for a while! ;)

Happy Christmas one and all!

Paul
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

I suspect our programming brainiacs :ugeek: have already considered this.

When using one of the "universal" Tx modules, the protocol is usually selected either manually via a rotary switch(s), or via a software interface. Is it a feasible option to use an arduino to manage the software interface?

Why not just do it manually? Well, for me:
1. While the majority of my Rxs are Frsky, I do use other protocols such as Flysky (RM0002 & 3), DSM/DSM2 and Corona.
2. Personally, I prefer to always have the module inside the Tx regardless of whether it is a JR/Futaba "plug-in" style or not, so having to open up the case to change protocols is a nuisance.
3. I like using the same Tx for multiple models - something I had to get used to when I started out as a cash-strapped teenager. I could thus utilise more of my different Rxs with the same Tx.
4. More protocol options/permutations are readily available via the software interface. At least, thats what I have found with my Taranis.

I don't envisage a complicated/exhaustive interface - perhaps just a series of lines for the common protocols that could be "remarked" in/out, or, the option to switch between a preselected primary or secondary protocol?
Just a thought ??

Best wishes to all for 2020, may all your planned vintage projects come to fruition and your bucket list continue to grow ;)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Paul, Mike Kitchen and I were discussing RF mode failure and have come to the conclusion that it is the air in Norfolk and Suffolk that is causing it (!) as I have had three (1 frsky hack, 1 DJT and a 4 in 1 modules, these are from different manufacturers and have gone down for no good reason.
Mike and I have come to the conclusion that they are classic early hour failures.

So I think if it runs for the first 12 hours or so without a problem, then it is likely to carry on until it reaches it rated design life.

Quite which component fails first I am not clever enough to have a view upon, but I guess heat plays a factor on it, so if you feel the module getting warmer than normal, then dont fly until you are happy it isn't about to fall over.

All the above written from a mechanical engineer standpoint, and would welcome a "proper" engineers views???