2.4 modules discontinued!

Like B&Q for homebrew radios
jmendoza

Re: 2.4 modules discontinued!

Post by jmendoza »

Got the latest firmware downloads for these modules with Tobes help.
thanks!
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Ok this is a major development for us, but not yet widespread knowledge.
Lemon, of LemonRx fame, have prototyped their own SDR transmit module in a JR physical footprint.
It has been extensively tested over a year and works extremely well but is not yet officially released - actual production and availability is not known but it is not far off. When Lemon are ready it will be very competitively priced.
The module uses DSMP which is the Lemons own protocol that is both DSM2 and DSMX compatible. DSMP is used in all their current receivers very successfully and reliably. Its FCC certified.
Its a simple to use PPM module with a bind button - we just supply power and PPM - as such its the answer we've been looking for :D

I will pass on any updates as & when I can, some of the detail is hush hush at the moment.

Happy daze

LemonRx wrote:We (Lemon Rx) have recently completed a transmitter module based on software defined protocol that has granted FCC approval. The hardware design has been carefully considered such that if the existing RF chip is EOL, the RF front-end can be implemented for the worst case scenario, by pure discrete logic. The data-slicer's output is connected directly to a high speed 32 bit processor for true software defined protocol.

We have completed the implementation of DSMP protocol (Full DSMX / DSM2 compatibility) and proven the concept works exceptionally well in term of performance and costing. It is now used on all of our existing receivers. Software defined protocol allows manufacturing of the RC radio and receivers regardless of RF or microprocessor manufacturers. Our goal is to aim for using software defined platform in becoming a standard in RC protocol one day. People should enjoy RC flying without worrying which brands to be matching with what protocol. Protocol should only be written once instead of reinventing the wheels over time due to EOL or manufacturing issue. We imagine this can possibly be the future of RC aviation. We maybe contacted by e-mail info@lemon-rx.com. Please feel free to ask us for anything. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Lemon Rx Officer

Phil

_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

I'll vouch for the Lemon products as high quality. Haven't seen the module yet though.
I just purchased 3 new XJT module/ receiver combos at a very good price & an Irange module 2nd hand. They are still out there if you look around.
I bought the XJTs as the price was so good that the RX alone was worth the price so the modules were effectively free.

In Australia the multi modules are similar prices to the Frsky/ Orange/Flysky ones so no reason not to use them instead.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Phil

The LemonRx module sounds great news. The quality of LemonRx receivers is very good and I regularly fly with them without problem. In fact in my opinion they're as good as genuine Spektrum receivers.

Now if only we could persuade them to make a DIY module it would be utopia. Over to you Phil.

In the long run, their approach to the front end is very interesting because it appears that they are not duplicating DSMX per se, but emulating the CTRF6936 as well. So in theory they could emulate the CC2500 and FrSky with the same hardware, in fact any other protocol as well.

On a different subject, I hadn't realized that the Jumper multi modules have been updated and the new ones don't have the selector switch any more. I guess if 99% are going into Jumper or FrSky transmitters, then the selector switches are redundant and an unnecessary cost. But they're the only CE and FCC approved multi module out there and scuppers my plans to use them. The serial interface to them is well documented and you can just read the source code if in doubt, it's just a couple of header bytes followed by 16 channels in s-bus format. So I wonder if adding a serial interface to Phil's encoder could be the way ahead?
Martin

Post by Martin »

An alternative to adding extra code to the encoders would be a separate 'backpack' for the multimodule. That keeps the functions of choosing a mode and maybe binding and range test modes separate. The multimodule/backpack combination could be used with any existing encoder that puts out PPM.

The backpack would consist of a small cheap board with a microcontroller and some means of input and output for selecting and displaying the chosen mode. At its simplest the I/O could be two push buttons and some LEDs, or a bank of DIP switches - or a more complex version could have, say, a small OLED display and a rotary encoder.
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

"or a more complex version could have, say, a small OLED display and a rotary encoder."
Just copy what was on the earlier version with the rotary switch., I understand the rest is common.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

jackdaw wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 12:44 "or a more complex version could have, say, a small OLED display and a rotary encoder."
Just copy what was on the earlier version with the rotary switch., I understand the rest is common.
I've just managed to open up a friends Jumper module and the printed circuit board is identical to the older one, they just haven't populated it and no link = position 0 = serial. So if you're happy with using just one protocol, fit links to where the switch would have been fitted to match the protocol number and it should work (the firmware is the same if the switch is fitted or not, so with links, it will work just like the switch was in a particular position).

I just hope they don't update the circuit board at a later date and omit the bits intended for the switch.
GarydNB

Post by GarydNB »

Phil_G wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 19:01
Mike_K wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 16:48I've just managed to open up a friends Jumper module...
Does he know? :D
That's the first thing you've said on here that I've understood!
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Phil_G wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 19:01
Mike_K wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 16:48I've just managed to open up a friends Jumper module...
Does he know? :D
It's back together now, so unless he reads this forum, he'll never know ;)
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

A little more info about the multi protocol module. By chance I was watching this video on updating the internal MPM in the Jumper T16(already done mine before this video) and a comment was made that made my ears pick up. A comment about the 'fine tune facility', when using FrSky and compatible FrSky Rx, was made that stated that it was soon to be made automatic as has always been the case for FrSky. This may answer the comments on why this was necessary. ie it only seemed necessary as it was 'manual' where as its auto(hidden) with FrSky equipement. This would also apply to the external module that we are interested in here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT_wmbx ... ploademail