Anyone have an internal pic of an Orange DIY please?

Like B&Q for homebrew radios
Phil_G

Anyone have an internal pic of an Orange DIY please?

Post by Phil_G »

Clive has had a run of bad luck with tranny builds so I'm trying to help him out, but the OrangeRx DIY module he sent is completely dead, no led, no beeps... I'm wondering if its been wired correctly at the factory - does anyone have an internal photo showing where the wires go please? The pos/neg/ppm cable seems ok but I'm not sure about the button and led connections. Is there anything else weird about the Orange DIY I should know about?
The xmega32D4 is seeing 3.6v vcc which is to spec, but I dont hear the 16mhz clock on the comms rx even with the aerial draped over the crystal. Wonder if its a shorted reset cap? I'm now in the uncomfortable situation of Clive sending a good module which on arrival was bad, I know these things are RHS now but by chance does anyone have a spare Orange DIY I could buy please?
Ta v much :D
Phil
Shaun

Re: Anyone have an internal pic of an Orange DIY please?

Post by Shaun »

I have one you can borrow and have a look at pal.

Let me know.

Cheers,

Shaun.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Does this help?
Orange DIY2.jpg
Paul
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Phil

This is probably a long shot, but have you made sure there is a ppm signal getting to the board? A few years ago my OrangeRx DIY module appeared completely dead (no beeps at power on) but it was the ppm wire had broken free. It's just possible there is a break in the wire or the connector wasn't properly made in the factory. It's easily checked with a continuity check.

Cheers

Mike
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

PaulJ wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 21:11 Does this help?
Thats brilliant thanks Paul, that confirms it's wired ok. Reset is fine , sitting at vcc, tried manually resetting the processor, still no joy. Think its a lost cause, will have to find a replacement.

Mike_K wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 13:54This is probably a long shot, but have you made sure there is a ppm signal getting to the board?
Thanks Mike, I'm seeing PPM on processor pins 12 & 13 which is port C2 & C3 (they're paralleled for some reason - maybe to do with updates - ppm is also serial in)

orange_problem.jpg

The 3.6v regulator appears to be fine, its a sot-89 Torex xc6206a, theres 3.6v to vcc on the xmega32D4

IMG_016.JPG

I'm convinced the 32D4 clock isnt running, even with a resistive contact to xtal1/xtal2 theres nothing heard on the comms rx anywhere around 16mhz. I wonder if post-office football has damaged the crystal?

I have an "ORX-Updater" dongle-thingy so next I'm going to see if I can re-upload its firmware, though I suspect it wont talk to the updater. Fed up with it now. :cry:

Edit: No joy, as expected. Tried a working JR-style Orangerx module on the comms rx and the 16mhz clock is plainly audible even without a direct connection. Suggests the clock isnt running. I might try bodging a 16mhz crystal onto it.

More edit: Replacing the 16mhz crystal did nothing. Hmmmfff.

Crystal removed. Its smaller than a match head.
Crystal removed. Its smaller than a match head.

A new 16mhz crystal didnt help
A new 16mhz crystal didnt help