Caster Oil Question?

Everything retro I.C.
iflylilplanes

Caster Oil Question?

Post by iflylilplanes »

With the popularity of caster oil being used in the cosmetics industry, the price has gone through the roof, I have seen a 100ml bottle selling for $36AU, that said. I have found a local supplier to the cosmetics industry, selling 5 litres for under $70Au, the product they are selling is called "Refined Caster Oil".

Anyone had experience with this "Refined Caster Oil"?

The web site description below....

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Ingredients: Ricinus Communis Seed Oil

Castor Oil comes from the seeds (commonly called beans) of the Castor oil plant. This rich, heavy and sticky oil has slightly different chemistry to other carrier oils making it especially useful in wetting pigments, make-up removal and cleansing applications. It's richness means this oil can form a protective barrier on your skin and this benefit has been harnessed over generations in baby bottom creams.

Native To: Southeast Mediterranean, East Africa, India.

Plant parts: Seeds (beans)

Extraction method
: Cold pressed

Common uses: Castor Oil is commonly used as a cleansing oil, for pigment wetting and make-up removal. These properties are possible due to the oils slight polarity.

Consistency: Rich, sticky, slow spreading.

Absorption: Castor oil will remain on the surface of the skin, acting as a barrier.

Cautions: None known

Am I safe in using this refined castor oil?

Dave
Cheers,

Dave
Spike S

Re: Caster Oil Question?

Post by Spike S »

I'll bet the cosmetics packaging doesn't say it's a laxative !
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

No experience with that but some of the short circuit/ Dirt Track motorbike guys use Castor / Methanol & burn a lot more than you would. Might be worth a poke around those guys for a supply.

I stopped racing a long time ago & lost touch with the community but I'll make some calls & see what I can find out. It's a good excuse to catch up with some old friends.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

I always bought it as Castrol M in minimum 5 ltr quantity from the local Castrol agent. I haven't purchased any for a looong time, but then again, 5 ltrs lasted for what felt like an eternity :o

I also added a couple of % of synthetic oil which reduced gumbing up and provided added protection.
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Castor oil belongs in a museum, not a model engine! I won't let the stuff anywhere near my engines...

--
Pete
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

I've always used caster oil or (later on...same same...Castrol M) @20% or 25% ...the latter was specified by OPS I believe.
The slight inconvienience of having to clean out an engine now and then if it has been left sitting, is well worth it.
I have taken engines from others where synthetic crap was used and cut engine crankcases in half, nailed them to the wall to show people the damage it does.
Each to their own but I prefer not to have jet black gunk (worn metal fragments) all down the side of my aircraft.
Castor also removes heat, as well as providing an unmatched ability to "cushion" any moving parts.
In fact, 4:1 methanol/castor was the "race day issued fuel" for all pylon racing in Aus.
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

I scored a litre of the refined castor yesterday and, will mix a couple of litres tonight then, test the mix on Sunday. Report back on Sunday night.

I have been using castor oil fuel in all my IC engines for over 50 years, only ever wore out one Enya 35 in the late 1970's, why change something not broken.
Cheers,

Dave
John Ryan

Post by John Ryan »

If you are using old steel engines eg old diesels like EDs, Mills, Olivers and older glows castor is a must. Modern AAC ABC engines like your OS AX or FX and ASPs generally need to be run in on castor (yes read the instructions) and are happy on synthetic or castor once run in. If you must run your old steel engines on synthetic use some castor in the fuel. Klotz and Coolpower make a synthetic/ castor mix 20% castor 80% synthetic we get in NZ for round $80 for 4.5 litres. I'm sure many of your Aust mail order model shops sell it. I use this in my modern glows and straight castor in the old diesels.
Castor makes a lot more mess for sure but if you have a lean run and temperatures take off castor keeps lubricating long after some synthetics have combusted. There was an excellent article in RCM&E a few years ago by the Model Engine Ear that went into all this.
To stop your castor engines gunking up put 1/2doz drops of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) down the carb and flick over a dozen times after use.
Castor is also very good at taking heat out of the engine. The unburnt stuff comes straight out the exhaust carrying a lot of heat.
I've used castor from all sorts of sources for over 50 years and they have all been good. I suspect you source will be OK.
John R
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

iflylilplanes wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 03:22

Am I safe in using this refined castor oil?
Over 50 years ago, the chemist supplied castor was all we had access to and it worked just fine.(expensive but fine)
mmm...just checked, that would be over 60 years ago...... :D
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

Funny thing, I did not realize till I finished flying yesterday, the refining is to take the smell away from the Castor. During clean up I could not smell the usual caster oil fragrance, that's a plus in my book.

Well, the OS15 ran well on this refined oil mixture, I managed 3 tanks full, a total of 21 minutes in the air, temp after landing was as normal if not slightly cooler, I think the engine better performed during the three flights but that could be because the previous few tanks were older fuel (a couple of months old). All in all, I'm happy with this castor oil but, I will finally make up my mind after I have run two litres through the OS15.

Dave
Cheers,

Dave