Motors past.

Everything retro I.C.
Stew

Re: Motors past.

Post by Stew »

I'd agree with Paul. And perhaps the 'Cox' is an Atwood? clutching at straws now.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

OK, 'my turn. How many of these can you identify?
IMG_0400.JPG
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Yep.. YinYan Silver Swallows.. Blue Box is the 2.49cc and the Orange box - dark red cylinder head is the 1.49cc but they came in many different colours.

I remember the owner of Radar model shop (Hong Kong) Kowloon telling me they were produced in China by a state owned engineering company that produced them when there were slack times in their core business. The heads were anodised in whatever dye was being used at the time. I would buy 30 or 40 of them and ship them back home to re sell at the shows and make a few quid. I would spend far too many Hong Kong dollars when visiting them. They were pretty good engines and everyone I fired up ran well. I seem to remember the first batch I bought in 1986 were under £5.00 each for the 2.49 cc ones; the 1.49 cc were only slightly cheaper.

Shaun

PS keep clutching.. not an Atwood....You'll kick your self when you realise what it is
F2B

Post by F2B »

PaulJ wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 21:11 OK, 'my turn. How many of these can you identify?
Top row 4th from L is a ED Competition Special 2cc.
Bottom row 3rd from L is a Taifun Hobby, 1 cc.
Made by Hans Hornlein, before he started his own 'Profi' line, not to be mistaken for the current 'Profi' line high end engines from I believe Moldavia.
F2B or not to be....
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

PaulJ wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 21:11 OK, 'my turn. How many of these can you identify?
IMG_0400.JPG
Owat fixed compression diesel, ED, Yulon, ED Comp Special, Elfin, Atwood
Frog, ME, Taufin Amco, ACE possibly could be an Embee, McCoy

Shaun
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Well done both, nearly all right! Back row... Owat 5cc, ED Hunter 3,5cc, Yulon .29, Ed Comp Special 2cc, Elfin 2.49 and not Atwood but a K&B .020

Front row..... Frog 100, M.E.Heron 1cc, Taifun Hobby 1cc, Amco .87, ACE .5cc, McCoy .049

Thanks F2B, I didn't know all that about Taifun.

Paul
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

All that legacy rubbish in my head and I can't remember what I had for breakfast today :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have no idea how I remembered the ACE.. Is it an original or a replica.. Didn't Arne Hende make some . I have a few of his motors they are superb and infinitely better the the originals.

The motor that looks like a Cox is the KeilKraft Cobra.
Made in the 60's by J Rodwell Ltd of Hornchurch, Essex. No where near as good as a Babe Bee in terms of power or quality of finish. I only ever saw them advertised in the KeilKraft handbooks and possibly once on an Aeromodeller back cover.

Shaun
Last edited by Shaun on 04 Mar 2018, 23:16, edited 3 times in total.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Shaun, the ACE is an original, another of the engines I bought from Dennis Bryant.

Paul
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Look at my modded post above re the Cox like motor.
There can't be many ACE motors in that condition around... very nice. Weren't they 0.5cc

Shaun
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Interesting...... I had never heard of the KK Cobra. Yes, the ACE is .5cc. I have run it but it clicks a bit when you flick it so I think the con-rod is nearing the end of it's natural life?