Motors past.

Everything retro I.C.
Stew

Motors past.

Post by Stew »

First engine was at the age of 10 or so. Enya 09 1V. Dad gave up trying to start it for me so I skulked off to the shed determined to get it going on my own. Weeks later...finally managed. I ran into the kitchen with it still screwed to the bit of wood I'd clamped into the workbench vice to start it, shouting to my Mam 'it's going!! it's going!!

I remember as a teen getting a box of engines one Christmas shortly after that, it must have been a local modeler selling up, so I got this shoe box of motors. (Best present ever lol). From memory, Enya 09, Thunder Tiger 25, HB? 40 PDP, Cox Golden Bee, and an OS10. I got them all running. They ended up in a variety of control liners, apart from the 40. What a lovely motor that was. I had it attached to dads saw horse, and it used to pull the thing along the path. Goodness knows what happened to them. I think they may have been sold to fund my first motorbike. (Yamaha DT50MX) Wish I had them back.
I found a FROG 100 redhead in a charity shop, must have been late 80's. My finger got swollen to twice it's normal size getting that going. I have never used a chicken finger.
Getting back into model aircraft a few years back I got an original Mills, (lovely starter) an MP Jet .040, (they always seem to have over-tight contra pistons, but excellent otherwise) and a Boddo Mills. (Bit asthmatic but still bit me enough to scar, swapping hands to launch a free flight Tomboy).
I tend to buy motors, run them for a bit, and then sell them on, not being much of a collector, more of a temporary custodian. Lately I have been on a DC binge, with a Wasp, Merlin and Sabre being purchased. I'm after a Spitfire now, and would love a Bambi, but my pockets aren't that deep..Just love British motors.
I've had a few Red Fin motors too. They're very good, but not retro or vintage of course.
Electric motors? Love 'em, the trade off with not having as much character is that they don't give your models a patina of decay!. I think the popular ones will eventually become 'classics' just like their IC counterparts.
Shaun

Re: Motors past.

Post by Shaun »

Here's a few of my engines.. Not a big collector as I like to run them in models but got a little carried away with the DC ones. The 1cc Spitfire was my first motor, (followed by an OS pet) the one on the left with the silencer is an early DC version, the one on the right is one of the final versions manufactured.
DC Spitfire.JPG
In the stack of engines the un-boxed one on the lower left is a DC 350, the un-boxed one on the right is a Bambi. The triangular boxes are far less common and the DC Bee is a very rare motor.
DC Engines.JPG
A few versions of the Merlin
DC Merlins.JPG
Shaun
Last edited by Shaun on 04 Mar 2018, 12:14, edited 4 times in total.
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

First engine was a Frog 349BB RC Marine which IIRC I got in the late summer of 1960. It was destined to power an Aerokits Swordsman of 33". Living at the Elephant and Castle in London meant boats were the only option as local flying sites did not exist, nor did a parental car to take me to one. As an aside, in those days there were NO cars parked in the local streets. Unfortunately secondary school work got increasingly 'heavy' and then in late 1961 my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer and died March 1962 at 48yrs old. So the boat never got finished and the engine only had a brief bench run. I still have the engine(along with another 4), now converted to aero, and the unfinished boat. The engine and boat have been with me throughout the trials, tribulations and many moves of my life whereas other items have come and gone. I have the occasional urge to finish the boat but never do as it is a 'connection' that I somehow feel would be broken if I did.
I have had and still have many engines since then. Last year I started developing an .xl list of the engines I currently have. I got to the 140 mark but still have to list my diesels, petrol's and Cox(many) engines. I've not got any super collectables, other than the usual Mills/Taplin Twin/limited run Cox etc, they're all normal run of the mill engines. I started this, after doing the same for my RC equipment, to ease the possible problems for my wife when the eventual time comes as I'm now in my 70's.
Stew

Post by Stew »

Jackdaw, good story about the boat. It's nice to have that connection to the past.
I have some old model engineering magazines from the 40's and petrol powered boats feature heavily. Most look like they have home built engines of around 15cc.
There's an old adage that the Aeromodeller lives in fear that his wife will sell his engines for what he told her he'd paid for them!
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Ah, my second wife and I have that sorted. We both pay an amount into a joint account that covers all the monthly running cost including food etc. What we have left in our own accounts is our own money to do with as we wish. There's no point in me covering up the cost of anything because it has no effect on her spending as much as she likes on what she likes using her own money. As an example, beginning of last year she decided she would like to change one of her cars and get a new one. She decided what she wanted and she paid for it. Similarly last year I thought I would like to get into a bit of air rifle target shooting. So, with her full knowledge I purchased a new Daystate Wolverine Hi-Lite PCP rifle with a number of extras, cost over £2,000. My money, my choice, no problem. Although, I do miss the thrill of sneaking in a new kit like I did in my first marriage.
Martin

Post by Martin »

When I was learning to fly full size gliders, a friend who was learning at the same time had a similar arrangement with his wife: whatever he spent on gliding lessons, she could spend the same on new clothes or shoes or whatever.

He had to give up gliding after a while as it was bankrupting him. :lol: His wife was spending the agreed amount on, say, a new dress - but then she usually had to also buy a matching handbag or earrings or whatever at additional cost. :D
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Irvine Mills 0.75 MkII This is the rare one with the fully machined crankcase and the ball raced crankshaft.
Irvine Mills 0.75 Mk11.jpg
Irvine Mills 0.75 MkI Standard crankcase and bushed bearing crankshaft.
Got 4 of the Irvine Mills 1.3 as well. Along with a few Aurora made versions of both and an Aurora version of the Mills 2.4 makes up my total 'Mills' collection. I thought I would add a few pics for entertainment and edification with respect to the differences between the two Irvine Mills 0.75.
Attachments
Irvine Mills 0.75 Mk1.jpg
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Another interesting engine which I posted a few pictures of on the other forum. Its the CS OT Twin Mk1, they require a few mods from new. But, a nice piece of 'male jewelry' IMO.
CS OT Twin 2.jpg
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

As I'm having a bit of 'diesel time' may as well add a pic of my Taplin Twin MkIII (un run). When they first came out as the 7cc MkI I lusted after one and continued to do so for decades(late developer/low hormones????) until my desire was satiated.
$_61 - Copy.jpg
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Finally, I got this diesel head off of Ebay for my ST 75. Engine picture is not mine. As this is a 75 and the Tomboy calls for a 75 I tried offering it up on the plan but it looked way too big for the plane :o :lol: :lol
S 75D Head.jpg
Attachments
S 75D_5.jpg