Favourite engine of my youth.

Everything retro I.C.
PaulJ

Re: Favourite engine of my youth.

Post by PaulJ »

Yes, Mills .75 + Lemon Rx and Lemon module in the Tx. The model would handle more power but the Mills is perfectly adequate and it is just a nice combination. :P

Paul
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Be careful with the Mini-Robot - the wings are notoriously weak!

My first one (back in 1965!) suffered a wing failure after only a couple of turns of a spiral dive (caused by a skipping sequential escapement and inexperience!).

I built my current one with spruce spars, but I still wouldn't trust it in a spiral dive. This is a bit of a shame, as with a Cox .049 up front, it goes up like a homesick angel! Can be difficult to stop it going out-of-sight upwards! Maybe not so much of a problem with a Mills, though...

--
Pete
John Tee

Post by John Tee »

Shaun,

I found the download button, but maybe my setup is not right. Some plans download fully some only half (from left to right). When I have a complete plan I can resize to 100 per cent but when I print "all pages" I just get the original mini plan. There appears to be no option for "tiling" to print the whole plan.

John
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Not sure why John.

Any ideas fellow mode zero'ers ?

Shaun.
GarydNB

Post by GarydNB »

Are you using 'Adobe' to download the plans? You can use the 'poster' setting and it is tiled for you.
Gary
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Pchristy wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 08:44 Be careful with the Mini-Robot - the wings are notoriously weak!

My first one (back in 1965!) suffered a wing failure after only a couple of turns of a spiral dive (caused by a skipping sequential escapement and inexperience!).

I built my current one with spruce spars, but I still wouldn't trust it in a spiral dive. This is a bit of a shame, as with a Cox .049 up front, it goes up like a homesick angel! Can be difficult to stop it going out-of-sight upwards! Maybe not so much of a problem with a Mills, though...

--
Pete
Thanks Pete, good advice and yes, I did beef up the wing slightly by using good hard stock for the spars and by sheeting the centre section top and bottom and then fibreglass tape to just outboard of the fuselage........ So far so good! :P

Paul
John Tee

Post by John Tee »

Sorry to have taken this thread off topic of engines, but to complete I have ordered a Belair "kit" for the mini robot. Looking in my plans box I have a plan for the mini robot but will now have two as one comes with kit. Also have plans for a Rudder bug that I intended to build 20 odd years ago but didn't and a Waveguide that I did build. Found lots of plans I had forgotten about so will spend time looking and reminiscing.

Thanks for your comments.

John
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

DC Spitfire.. my first engine in a KeilKraft Champ.

It was a Christmas present..As an eager 10 year old I primed it and it started in my hand in the lounge at the side of the Xmas tree. Let go and it destroyed one of my mum's prized glass baubles. She wasn't impressed.

Back on topic now...😄

Shaun.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

My favourite has to be the Mills .75...... My Dad bought the first one for me when I was maybe 10 y/o. It's been in so many models and must have had many gallons of fuel through it and it still runs :P. I realise now (but didn't then) how tolerant my Mum was when I ran it in my bedroom and she never complained! ;). A wonderful engine, so full of happy memories....... I've still got my Mum too but the Mills is in better condition! ;)

Paul
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

PaulJ wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 09:25
Thanks Pete, good advice and yes, I did beef up the wing slightly by using good hard stock for the spars and by sheeting the centre section top and bottom and then fibreglass tape to just outboard of the fuselage........ So far so good! :P

Paul
Yeah, mine snapped in the first un-sheeted bay, just beyond the fuselage! The centre-section is pretty robust. The problem is that with only one spar, there is nothing to prevent it flexing beyond its limits!

Flown gently, there is no problem! Mine failed due to the severity of the pull-out when I finally realised what was going on, and let go of the rudder! :shock:

--
Pete