AE Diesel ?

Everything retro I.C.
Igull

AE Diesel ?

Post by Igull »

Hi All
I've been given a number of diesel engines (and me an electric-head :-) ) - all fairly common-or-garden, but this seems like an AE 0.2cc - any ideas if that's accurate ???
The cylinder head is 18.5mm dia and from pics I've seen online, it would be missing a machined fuel tank at the back and perhaps a spring start at the front (there are wear marks on the black anodising of the crankcase behind the prop driver Mr Holmes). The rear of the crankcase has a single central tapped hole around M2 - I'm assuming some awful BA thread like 10BA - I gave up imperialist measurements as a child around 60 yrs ago - it still seems to linger on - and on :-)
TIA
Cheers
Neil
ae diesel.jpg
Shaun

Re: AE Diesel ?

Post by Shaun »

I believe you are correct in you assumptions Watson.
Looks very much like the tiddler AE motor I owned a few years ago.
Last edited by Shaun on 19 Nov 2018, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
Igull

Post by Igull »

Ah, thank you Mr Holmes sir - I'm guessing then that it wouldn't pull the skin off my Mum's custard, but it might be a bit of fun to get it going (it's pretty gummed up) - I'll need to turn down a tank and find a non-metricious screw to fit.
I'm sure you could suggest some micro model from the 50's that would suit - maybe using 12 channel reeds or is that perhaps a tad ambitious ? I was going to suggest using it as a power pod on the dreaded MZ Goblin LOL.
Cheers
Neil
PS I do have a Flipper biplane in the attic that I built in the early 70's - still resplendent with a cox peewee - that might be fun - if the tissue is still intact that is (not sure if 12ch reeds would fit tho :-) )
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

From memory they were pretty powerful little motors and very well machined, but critical on using the right fuel blend.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

You should have no problems though re a Ponte theme model. Millions already digitised in your archive and easy to reduce at the press of a few keys.. :D
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Shaun wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 21:51 critical on using the right fuel blend.
I have an AE .5cc and I've never managed to start it :oops:. What fuel mix did you use Shaun?

Paul
Martin

Post by Martin »

BA fasteners are (kind of) metric, probably some of the oldest metric-based ones still in use! Read the Wikipedia page about them - it's fascinating. :D
Martin

Post by Martin »

You want a fuel with plenty of ether to get these little motors going. If you can find somewhere that will sell you ether, you can add an extra 10% or so to your existing model diesel fuel. When I was about twelve years old the local chemist shop was happy to sell me ether once I explained what I wanted it for. I tried to buy some more recently now I'm the wrong side of fifty but I was told that they wouldn't sell it as it was considered too dangerous :roll: I think they were just fobbing me off - maybe it's something they don't stock themselves nowadays.
Igull

Post by Igull »

Martin wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 23:48 Read the Wikipedia page about them - it's fascinating. :D
Martin, you really need to get a life LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sadly, I actually read through it - here's the bit that cracked me up ...
From Wikipedia - They then spoiled this by rounding to 2 significant figures in metric and then converting to inches and rounding to the thousandth of an inch.
And you wonder why I prefer metric threads :lol:

Neil