OS Pixie Receiver replica

RON
Site Admin

OS Pixie Receiver replica

Post by RON »

Hi Guys,
Just finished my OS Pixie Receiver replica.
Thanks very much to Frank for the .scad file. I tweaked it a little bit to accommodate my v8 frsky receiver and put the "Made in Yorkshire" text on it. Printed in white laser resin its come out superb. very smooth and the text nice a crisp.
Held together with a strip of gold mirror vinyl, very similar to the original I think.
Ok this was an expensive print but I think my lovely Pixie transmitter deserves a lovely receiver to match it.
Here's some photos of the project

Ron
IMG_0595 2.JPG
IMG_0600.JPG
IMG_0607.JPG
IMG_0606.JPG
IMG_0605.JPG
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
stuart mackay

Re: OS Pixie Receiver replica

Post by stuart mackay »

:o
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I love it! :P And it's a great use for all those "other ends" of the servo leads that you cut off for the transmitter projects!
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Looks great Ron, almost better than the original Pixie receiver.

Frank
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Superb as always.

Al
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Ron

When I suggested you needed a Pixie case for your Rx, I was half joking. But now you've made one, it's a must have item for us Pixie converters/builders! What a lovely job you've made of it.

So the last bit of Pixie "bling" you need is the green centre loaded coil cover. I've ordered a small reel of green PLA that I think will match the original, so I'll print a few, then we can all have a green blob on top of our 2.4GHz aerials :)

I've done a little test in the workshop this evening to see if a FrSky antenna with the black cover removed, will transmit OK through the Pixie case, which it did with no loss of range (on a range check). Se we could put a dummy aerial on the Pixie with a green blob half way up and have the active part of the 2.4GHz antenna internal in the case at the top.

Over to you Ron!

Cheers

Mike

PS I love the "Made in Yorkshire" text. I guess Neil will have "Made in Scotland" and I'll have "Made in Herts".

IMG_20180414_000051_small.jpg
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

That was my thinking also. So I made up a drawing of something that looks like the center loaded coil, without ever having seen one in person. Here is what I made with my very limited knowledge in drawing with OpenSCAD. It consists of two halves glued together over the arial. I could not do it any better.
Any more accurate solution is highly appreciated.
Spule.png
Spule.png (8.89 KiB) Viewed 7808 times
Ant_Spule.stl
(538.52 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
Frank
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Thanks Mike, sounds great. I’m tempted to make another Pixie but a special edition maybe in Red or something different. Also tempted to do it in laser resin for the ultimate finish.

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire