Foam friendly spray paint

How we create stuff
AlexC

Foam friendly spray paint

Post by AlexC »

Does anyone have a recommendation for foam friendly spray paint?
Wayne_H

Re: Foam friendly spray paint

Post by Wayne_H »

AlexC wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 22:12 Does anyone have a recommendation for foam friendly spray paint?
Hi Alex,

In my part of the world (Australia & New Zealand), I source acrylic foam friendly paints from the art supply places - predominantly they are in a tube & meant for brushing, but the more "high end" stores have spray cans. I have thinned them with water and used in an airbrush, but you'll then need several coats to get the colour depth. You can also get aerosol "fixing lacquers" that are clear acrylics in matt, low sheen or gloss. These are meant to go over the colour to provide a protective surface, but read the label carefully as not all are foam safe.

I've also had great result with 50mm coloured tapes, mostly from Hobby King, but I've recently seen "packaging tape" in green, white, black, & red as well as the traditional clear. These tapes can be conformed around compound curves with very careful applications of the sealing iron on low heat. Additional adhesion can be achieved with an initial application of thinned acrylic wood glue (typically 50/50 with water) left to dry, before applying the tape.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

Pretty much any acrylic paint should be ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLKjsN-xvBs
AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Thanks for all the advice. I have a local store called 'The Works' that have an arts section. I will have a browse later today.
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Just one thing to watch out for: The paint may be foam-safe, but watch out for the propellant gas!

I fell foul of this one many years (decades?) ago when sheeting foam cores.I was using an aerosol contact adhesive. The adhesive was fine, but if you got the rattle can too close to the foam, something - presumably the propellant - damaged the foam!

--
Pete
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

Same with painting enamel paint over epoxy glassed skins.
The enamel softens the previously cured epoxy and any laid up carbon fibre tows used as bracing.
Left for perhaps 2 weeks or more is fine as it rehardens over that period.
This one flew(crashed) 3 days after painting, wings folded like paper.