Making self adhesive decals

How we create stuff
RON
Site Admin

Making self adhesive decals

Post by RON »

I’m sure there are other ways of doing these even better but here is my take on it...

I’ve been asked by quite a few people now how I make the decals for my projects!

It’s really quite simple, you can get really good results with fairly simple everyday stuff, here goes..

You’ll need:

A laser printer, mono or colour
self adhesive clear vinyl (laser type) ebay
Chrome mirror vinyl wrap, any colour, I use silver and gold. Ebay.
New scalpel blade.
Sellotape

Here is the clear vinyl I use, it’s not cheap but seems to work best.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2323568483

Here is the mirror vinyl

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2053099948

Firstly, print your decal on some ordinary white paper, this is so you can check the exact size it prints, when happy simply use a small piece of sellotape to fix your clear vinyl over the top of the image having firstly cut the clear vinyl to the approx size, this saves on the vinyl, no point using a full A4 sheet to do small decal.

Put the white sheet back in the printer not forgetting to adjust the printer setting for labels instead of plain paper, then print.

Now, take the top protective layer off the mirror vinyl and stick the printed clear vinyl image to it.
Rub all the air out so it’s nice and flat.

Cut the newly made decal out and hey presto, I sometimes use a clear lacquer lightly sprayed over the top depending on what the decal is used for. This makes it last longer and won’t scratch.

Ron
4071D244-324A-4FF0-93D4-D08C45B94264.jpg
FE4534D2-DC49-42E5-A4B9-EAFE8F884DF0.jpg
DDAF437A-725B-4735-85FF-3937B005B0A1.jpg
949A3CBD-914B-441D-BD5D-71253DD90365.jpg
5DCB82DC-4EC9-4E2D-9254-C8BD8A2D7A8A.jpg
89650006-D883-4864-B695-B04F35AE8830.jpg
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Mike_K

Re: Making self adhesive decals

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Ron

Thanks for giving away all your trade secrets :)

I've ordered the self adhesive clear vinyl and foil from eBay and also some thin brushed aluminium to try to make some Skyleader labels. I'll let you know how I got on next week.

Cheers

Mike
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Cheers Mike

Not tried the aluminium foil but I have tried Ali sheet.
It looks really good.

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Ron

I've been using your label making method for nearly a year now and I've had really good results.

But I needed to print the label for a Kraft Sports Series for a conversion I'm doing, as the label was missing. The problem is that the "SPORTS SERIES" is in silver and the Kraft and top/bottom pattern in gold. After a bit of trial and error I found if I used silver/aluminium label material and printed a "light gold-ish" colour for the Kraft, the laser printer toner is opaque enough to show the shiny silver through and look like gold. While it isn't perfect and I can't replicate the slightly raised Kraft and sports series text, its better than no label.

New label on left, the transmitter on the right is what I copied
New label on left, the transmitter on the right is what I copied

Cheers

Mike