Calling all sailors!

Anything about sailing
GeeW

Re: Calling all sailors!

Post by GeeW »

Well the final sail of the season was certainly more exciting than anticipated!
We were reaching just under 2 nm north of the Nab Tower hoping to round it before we ran out of time to get back before dark when a loud 'CRACK' was heard. Wind was E top of F4 with gusts into lower F5. One reef in main and none in mizzen.
We looked around but nothing was obvious....hmmmmm...peered over the stern to discover the rudder sitting at 45 degrees out to the side of where it normally lives! Oh poo I said (or something similar). Couldn't get her to tack so ended up gybing and sailed back,using hand flown sheets to control direction tolerably well until needed more precision as we neared Chichester Hbr entrance, when the outboard was started. Spent the next morning tying he bits together ready for the lift out next week.
Looks like rot in the rudder stock cheeks is to blame but absolutely nothing to be seen on the outside at all. Just the inner laminations that have sucked up the water.
I now know what will be on my building board in December!
20181117_072648.jpg
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

:shock: Nasty! Chichester can be quite tricky, you did well to get back without calling for help. Well done! I know of at least two boats that had to be abandoned and the crew rescued because they lost the steering and couldn't control the boat. Admittedly they were both a long way from land. Did you find the mizzen became your principle steering?

Many moons ago I went out with a rather keen skipper who decided we would pretend that we had lost steering and we would practice sailing without using the rudder. It was a 42ft bermudan sloop (Bavaria) in about a F3 and a virtually calm Solent. We tried dragging buckets, sail trim, shifting ballast....... nothing made much difference! I vowed that when I had my own boat I would NEVER lose the rudder! So the current boat is a long keeler with a full length, transom hung rudder supported by FIVE pintles and tiller steering...... and I carry a spare tiller just in case!

Where in Chichester harbour do you keep your boat? I kept a previous boat in Bosham.....

Paul
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

Paul
Correct, the mizzen was the principle steering aid. Also helped by the fact that a Libby has almost no rudder loads when sailed normally, it only loads when you try to get the last knot of speed.
Boat lives half way between Emsworth and Hayling Bridge. Girte Rithe.
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

GeeW, check under Events as you are....and your PM

Tobe
Re: Announcement
Post by Tobe » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:22 pm

Congratulations GeeW - Gordon, very well done and I'm looking forward to mail your choice of actuator, either the GG-Tobe PnP or the Adams Clone PnP as soon I get your mail adress in a PM.
Just because....this is not a reason to stop your donations not least as a new Sweepstakes may come up at any time.
Cheers,

Tobe
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

Thanks for that Tobe...I will also be buying a Lotto ticket this evening as my luck is obviously good at the moment.
PM sent
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

At last ...first sail of the season last weekend. A super Saturday sail though confined ourselves to staying within Chichester Harbour. Great sunset too!
IMG_20200830_200225248.jpg
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

'Nice pic Gee...... I used to have a boat at Bosham in Chichester Harbour but I don't recognise where that is..... A bit up from East head maybe? :?

Paul
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

Half way up Mengham Rithe. Plenty of mooring vacant at the moment. Probably only half the usual boats afloat.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Ah...... No wonder I didn't recognise it, I always turned right when I came in! ;)

Paul
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

PaulJ wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 07:46 Ah...... No wonder I didn't recognise it, I always turned right when I came in! ;)

Paul
Hmm, a one press person eh Paul????
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)