Come on, post your projects please!

Important Announcements and information
How to register on this forum
Phil_G

Come on, post your projects please!

Post by Phil_G »

Cant believe with everyone having extra time at home there have been so few projects posted ;)
I know from emails that loads and loads of conversions have been done recently, yet there are relatively few build threads. The Membership list shows ten pages of members who have never posted, not even a 'Hello' ! The forum relies on regular contributions, just reading other peoples content won't keep it going! Please post your builds, projects, ruminations. It doesnt have to be a War & Peace epic, just a few build notes & photos, videos are even better. Have you managed any retro-style flying recently? Did you find an old 'Reptone' in your loft? Spotted a CAA update? Tidied your shed? Been throwing chuck-gliders in the garden? Did you find a really handy tool going cheap at Lidl? Dont be shy, post it up! :D
The forum has been really quiet lately and many interesting opening posts have gone unanswered (Try 'Quick links', 'Unanswered Topics') which is discouraging for the poster, and again impacts further posts from them.
As Pink Floyd said (via Stephen Hawkings CallText 5010 voice synth) "...all we have to do... is keep talking" :D
Cheers ;)
Phil
Wavemeter

Re: Come on, post your projects please!

Post by Wavemeter »

Hello Phil I will gladly post my conversions and no doubt be asking lots of questions.
I’m just limbering up at the moment and gathering all the bits together.
On the cards is :
OS Cougar mk1 - 35mhz but basic
Reed Tx to swap out for the above to fly the Black Magic I’m building
Skyleader FM to have new encoder to greatly improve its useability
Horizon 4ch complete resto of tired grungy tx to 35mhz but with new encoder

Long term - valve superhet boat rx
With box on floor tx

Single channel Macgregor valve tx and rx and actually use it as nature intended

Single Macgregor Transistor outfit - to finally fly in something and using rubber band escapement
Reconstituted boy
AndyS

Post by AndyS »

My current project is an attempt to make a Transmitter Module that emulates the FrSky V protocol.
The best way so far to do this is the Multi-Protocol Module:

https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Mul ... -TX-Module

However I am having many problems. The module can work work in either Serial (getting its protocol selection from the Transmitter using Open Tx) or straight PPM mode (should work on any PPM input) and protocol selected by a binary input to 4 pins usaully by a rotary hex switch.

The best help I have had so far is this web page:

http://karooza.net/multi-protocol-module-for-rc-models

The DIY module can be made with a STM32 module or a Arduino (Nano or Pro-Mini). However the Arduino choice will restrict the number of protocols you can load into the memory. Not a problem if like me you only interested one or two.

Karooza web page used a Arduino nano and a NRF24 module to emulate a Bayang protocol and by following his set up I got a Arduino/NRF24 set up working. This I proved by using the 2.4GHz scanner from the Mode Zero pages (thank you).

So thus encouraged I purchased a CC2500 module from Bangood at great expense (£4.43 plus postage). Wired up as per the Pascal Langer Git hub, nothing! But did manage to apply 5v accidentally to the CC2500 and I suspect, blew it up.

I have bought two more and try as may I am still not getting RF output. I am using a Phil G encoder to provide the PPM input and I have a good scope to watch what is going on.

Question - has anyone else in Mode Zero successfully made a Multi protocol module, preferably with frSky or DSM protocol. Lots of posts here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... -TX-Module

But most are wanting a specific protocol for their drone :roll: Or have problems loading firmware into their purchased module.

I find the Arduino code on the git hub hard to follow, all parameters are set in a Config_h file which I suspect I may have got my error.

It would be easier if there was just a simple method of Arduino and CC2500 module with a simple to understand code to produce a FrSky output.

I will persevere with this and report if I get there. It certainly fills up the empty hours at home.
Martin

Post by Martin »

I got a FrSky V "transmitter" working today using a CC2500 module and an Arduino Pro Mini Expand, by just altering the _Config.h file from Pascal's Multiprotocol source code.

Rather than clutter up this thread I'll start a new one...

Here it is: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1092
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

Created a new thread in Slope Soarers - Zeitgeist s/c and GG
AlexC

Post by AlexC »

AndyS wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 19:48 My current project is an attempt to make a Transmitter Module that emulates the FrSky V protocol.
The best way so far to do this is the Multi-Protocol Module:

https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Mul ... -TX-Module

However I am having many problems. The module can work work in either Serial (getting its protocol selection from the Transmitter using Open Tx) or straight PPM mode (should work on any PPM input) and protocol selected by a binary input to 4 pins usaully by a rotary hex switch.

The best help I have had so far is this web page:

http://karooza.net/multi-protocol-module-for-rc-models

The DIY module can be made with a STM32 module or a Arduino (Nano or Pro-Mini). However the Arduino choice will restrict the number of protocols you can load into the memory. Not a problem if like me you only interested one or two.

Karooza web page used a Arduino nano and a NRF24 module to emulate a Bayang protocol and by following his set up I got a Arduino/NRF24 set up working. This I proved by using the 2.4GHz scanner from the Mode Zero pages (thank you).

So thus encouraged I purchased a CC2500 module from Bangood at great expense (£4.43 plus postage). Wired up as per the Pascal Langer Git hub, nothing! But did manage to apply 5v accidentally to the CC2500 and I suspect, blew it up.

I have bought two more and try as may I am still not getting RF output. I am using a Phil G encoder to provide the PPM input and I have a good scope to watch what is going on.

Question - has anyone else in Mode Zero successfully made a Multi protocol module, preferably with frSky or DSM protocol. Lots of posts here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... -TX-Module

But most are wanting a specific protocol for their drone :roll: Or have problems loading firmware into their purchased module.

I find the Arduino code on the git hub hard to follow, all parameters are set in a Config_h file which I suspect I may have got my error.

It would be easier if there was just a simple method of Arduino and CC2500 module with a simple to understand code to produce a FrSky output.

I will persevere with this and report if I get there. It certainly fills up the empty hours at home.
I have a FrSky V8JT module that I no longer use. if it is of any use to you.
v8.jpg
v8.jpg (4.79 KiB) Viewed 5641 times
AndyS

Post by AndyS »

Thanks but already have one. The challenge is to make one myself, well with Martin’s help.