CAA registration 'consultation'

Important Announcements and information
How to register on this forum
RON
Site Admin

Re: CAA registration 'consultation'

Post by RON »

Martin wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 17:24 It's good that the BMFA aren't denying membership to those who refuse to register on principle.
They are not likely to either, there’s 40 quid in it for them for every member that re joins
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

If the BMFA insurance turns out to be valid for those who don't register, then people like me will rejoin, if it isn't, I predict a loss of membership.

This bulldozer approach by the Govt. with no regard for the people who will be affected by their shiny new legislation feels horribly familiar.
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Are people really going to give up this great hobby for £16.50... If so they can't have been very invested in it.

Shaun.
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Shaun,
I firmly believe that it will be significantly more than £16.50 within a year or two. Plus, its the principle of us recreational flyers effectively subsidising the commercial operators. We are the flyer and the operator, commercial organisations are the operator and can have numerous flyers.
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

Here is the complete non response I have just received from the Dept of Transport.

I recently wrote to my local MP and to Grant Shapps about CAP1789 and they have only referred to CAP1775.

Now I may have my wires crossed here, but CAP1775 does not bother me at all, other than being a pointless register that costs me money and achieves absolutely nothing, where as CAP1789 as detailed in parts on here could effectively mean the end of model flying from a very large number of present sights, so I pay my £16.50 / £26.50/ £50.60 to register and shortly after that I have nowhere left to fly.

I will try to arrange a meeting with my MP, as this anonymous e-mail does nothing to address my concerns.

Neil
Response to TO, Chapter ID 264728.pdf
(84.46 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

an update from the BMFA website

I published an update on the BMFA website on 23rd August (https://bmfa.org/News/News-Page/Article ... del-flyers ) which provided a summary of our position at that time. This was also going to be the basis of my article for the forthcoming issue of the BMFA NEWS.

However, the very next day I received a telephone call to tell me that the new Secretary of State for Transport (the Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP) had picked up the case for us and would ‘be in touch’.

A few days later I received an invitation to attend a meeting with Grant at the Houses of Parliament. This meeting took place on Monday the 9th September and involved me (on behalf of the UK Model Flying Associations), Graham Brown from ARPAS (on behalf of commercial drone operators) and high-level delegations from both the CAA and DfT. The outcome of the meeting was that the CAA and DfT have been tasked to work in collaboration with us urgently to try and find an acceptable way forward.

This is very much work in progress and as such I cannot provide much definitive information at this time. Please monitor the BMFA website and Facebook page for further updates in due course.

However, what I can confirm already is that those who only fly control line aircraft will be exempted from the DRES requirements and I can also confirm that registration numbers can be carried in an easily accessible location (such as within battery compartments) rather than on the exterior of model aircraft. The registration fee is also likely to be subject to a change (for the better). These items are the starting point.

We would therefore encourage members not to rush into registering or taking the test when the DRES is rolled out in the next few weeks, until we have concluded our current round of discussions with the CAA and DfT and issued further guidance to members. For the time being, we would suggest that it remains ‘business as usual’.

Both the CAA and DfT have given a commitment to ‘re-set’ their relationships with the model flying community and work with us in close collaboration from this point forward, a very positive development which we greatly appreciate. It’s perhaps preferable to being inundated with correspondence from our magnificent members and their MP’s! Thanks again to all those members who have supported our relentless campaign so far.

Watch this space!

Dave Phipps CEO
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

Although I'll not hold my breath, it does seem like a slight zephyr of common sense may have wafted through this ill-advised and panic-based piece of legislation........... I'm quite sure that the best outcome will still not be to our liking, but hopefully it won't make 90% of model flying illegal as the current draft seems to!
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

I have been prodding away at the Dept. of Transport about CAP1789 which is the proposed regulation I really don't like the look of. I have enlisted the help of my MP and he has done a fine job keeping at them when they have tried to fob me off with non answers.

Yesterday I got a letter from my MP with an enclosed letter from Baroness Vere. In her letter she basically says that the implementation of the second stage of CAP1789, which is the potentially nasty bit for model flyers and which is due to come into force on July 1st 2020 will depend on Brexit: "pending the outcome of EU Exit negotiations, a decision will be taken on whether to align UK law with the Implementing Regulations".

This was pretty much what I guessed when her department sent me a load of billhooks about CAP1775 after my first letter, so, we will have to see what comes of both these bits of unnecessary legislation, but if you have not written to your MP or to Grant Shapps / Baroness Vere, then you should cos I think we are REALLY pissing them off and that is good given the political turmoil the Govt. is currently going through and the fact they all wish to keep their jobs after the next election.
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

See the latest on the BMFA "News" page:
https://bmfa.org/News/News-Page/Article ... cheme-DRES
There are significant exemptions for BMFA members and passing the "A" test.
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

That's a bit more like it.

Nice to know that our letters and MP's have been able to apply some pressure.

Now, CAP1789........