Hilton O’ Heffernan

Any radio hams out there?, related projects etc.
Wavemeter

Hilton O’ Heffernan

Post by Wavemeter »

Reading my latest old paperback ‘ simple radio control’ printed 1957 I noticed this rather smart gentleman. Then I noticed what appeared to be a call sign G5BY on the tail of his model ‘Sky Sedan’
With this model he achieved a flight of 2hrs 31 mins and 20secs using an aeromodeller valve receiver . Must have been a hell of a rubber band on that escapement!
It seems this was not his only accomplishment- seems he was a VHF pioneer with a long history of invention and innovation - see here
Attachments
18D29E54-3AE7-4A5D-BCCF-968780275F3C.jpg
41C4C4BD-3D95-4AAE-B966-0CA6F960FCE9.jpg
Reconstituted boy
Wavemeter

Re: Hilton O’ Heffernan

Post by Wavemeter »

Wavemeter wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 22:25 Reading my latest old paperback ‘ simple radio control’ printed 1957 I noticed this rather smart gentleman. Then I noticed what appeared to be a call sign G5BY on the tail of his model ‘Sky Sedan’
With this model he achieved a flight of 2hrs 31 mins and 20secs using an aeromodeller valve receiver . Must have been a hell of a rubber band on that escapement!
It seems this was not his only accomplishment- he was a VHF pioneer with a long history of invention and innovation - see here http://www.uksmg.org/content/50yrsof50megspt5.htm
Reconstituted boy
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

I knew him! He used to fly with the same group (hardly a club!) that I belonged to, back in the late 60s!

He was a somewhat eccentric gentleman! We referred to him as "The Swallow", because he used to spend (UK) winter in South Africa, returning to the UK for our summer. He drove a rather nice Sunbeam Alpine sports car that spent most of its time in storage!

He used to turn up with some rather weird and wonderful models and equipment, have a couple of flights, and then disappear again.

I didn't know him that well, but the leader of our group at the time knew him very well, and would always wear a wry smile when talking about him! He was quite old back then, and must be long gone to the great runway in the sky now...

--
Pete
Wavemeter

Post by Wavemeter »

Wow ! I never expected that . Yes clearly a very intelligent fellow and fixated on what he was up to
One of our great contributors
Reconstituted boy