Hilton O’ Heffernan

Any radio hams out there?, related projects etc.
Wavemeter

Hilton O’ Heffernan

Post by Wavemeter »

Reading my latest old paperback ‘ simple radio control’ printed 1957 I noticed this rather smart gentleman. Then I noticed what appeared to be a call sign G5BY on the tail of his model ‘Sky Sedan’
With this model he achieved a flight of 2hrs 31 mins and 20secs using an aeromodeller valve receiver . Must have been a hell of a rubber band on that escapement!
It seems this was not his only accomplishment- seems he was a VHF pioneer with a long history of invention and innovation - see here
Attachments
18D29E54-3AE7-4A5D-BCCF-968780275F3C.jpg
41C4C4BD-3D95-4AAE-B966-0CA6F960FCE9.jpg
Reconstituted boy
Wavemeter

Re: Hilton O’ Heffernan

Post by Wavemeter »

Wavemeter wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 22:25 Reading my latest old paperback ‘ simple radio control’ printed 1957 I noticed this rather smart gentleman. Then I noticed what appeared to be a call sign G5BY on the tail of his model ‘Sky Sedan’
With this model he achieved a flight of 2hrs 31 mins and 20secs using an aeromodeller valve receiver . Must have been a hell of a rubber band on that escapement!
It seems this was not his only accomplishment- he was a VHF pioneer with a long history of invention and innovation - see here http://www.uksmg.org/content/50yrsof50megspt5.htm
Reconstituted boy
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

I knew him! He used to fly with the same group (hardly a club!) that I belonged to, back in the late 60s!

He was a somewhat eccentric gentleman! We referred to him as "The Swallow", because he used to spend (UK) winter in South Africa, returning to the UK for our summer. He drove a rather nice Sunbeam Alpine sports car that spent most of its time in storage!

He used to turn up with some rather weird and wonderful models and equipment, have a couple of flights, and then disappear again.

I didn't know him that well, but the leader of our group at the time knew him very well, and would always wear a wry smile when talking about him! He was quite old back then, and must be long gone to the great runway in the sky now...

--
Pete
Wavemeter

Post by Wavemeter »

Wow ! I never expected that . Yes clearly a very intelligent fellow and fixated on what he was up to
One of our great contributors
Reconstituted boy
AllanSnoek

Post by AllanSnoek »

I too knew Hilton.
Being South African before expating to USA and being old! , we actually flew together in Cape Town at the Southern Soaring Club and Cape Radio Flyers, circa 1970. Hilton was what Americans call a snowbird, and always the consummate gentleman. He would leave SA for the UK in autumn, and return in the spring (southern hemisphere). I was about 21y/o then and he was already silver, but we had a common interest, r/c electronics. Hence when I saw his name it immediately brought back fond memories.
Allan Snoek
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Nice to hear that someone from the southern hemisphere remembers him as well! And confirms my recollection of him vanishing during our cold season!

He was, as you say, a consummate gentleman, but perhaps one of the last Great British Eccentrics!

Far too few of them left, these days!

:D

--
Pete
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Pchristy wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 14:54 .... perhaps one of the last Great British Eccentrics!

Far too few of them left, these days!
I'm sure that many outside this forum consider all of us in it to be eccentric :lol:

Me, I'm not eccentric, I'm just a colonial boy with an eccentric interest (or two....) 🤔🤫
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)