Tobe
tedbmoss

Re: My Quickie-Ghost project

Post by tedbmoss »

I ordered a full kit and am waiting patiently for the mail. :D
Bennett_g9@sky.com

Post by Bennett_g9@sky.com »

Actuator bits arrived, built the same day! Wired the nano and driver board, tested with my Futaba 6 conversion, works a treat!
Back to the building board to finish the Ghost, roll on some flying weather.
George B
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Bennett_g9@sky.com wrote: 07 Dec 2020, 20:40 Actuator bits arrived, built the same day! Wired the nano and driver board, tested with my Futaba 6 conversion, works a treat!
Well done! Any chance of some pictures of the tx conversion and ghost flight pack? Better still, a short YouTube vid of it all working together??
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Bennett_g9@sky.com

Wayne, Futaba 6 was easy, the original encoder worked perfectly, so I just stripped the redundant RF components from the cct board and wired in a

Frsky hack module, turning up a brass antenna mount to replace the old 27Mhz one. My other transmitters have used diy more boards and the 7 chan sketch, again with a FRsky tx module.

The Ghost is ready to cover, I hope to get some takeoff/flying shots soon as the weather improves here, at the moment it's really crap for flying.

drive it. Works an absolute treat! takes me back to 1970, flying my first GG model round the transmitter masts at the station where I worked!!!
George B
Bennett_g9@sky.com

Quickie Ghost Finished at last! ready to go as soon as the weather allows. Many thanks to Shaun and Mike Kitchen for their assistance with the actuator build. The hardest bit was cutting the decals from solarfilm as it turned out.
Poor photo, but gives an idea!
Poor photo, but gives an idea!
Quickie Ghost.jpg (7.43 KiB) Viewed 7093 times
George B
Bennett_g9@sky.com

Update on my Ghost build.
First flights today just after lunch, no problems to speak of I had 4 6 min flights tried loops and rolls, the Ghost has more than enough power for both,it got cold so packed up to put some downthrust on the motor, which Shaun commented on in his article.
For interest, here's my equipment list fitted to the aircraft.
Motor $max 2826/1290 with APC 8x4E prop
ESC ZTW beatles 30 amp BEC
Rx FrSky D4R-II D8
Lipo Multi star 40c 1400mAh
Used my 2.4G Futaba M6 tx.

Video to follow I hope
George B
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

That's great news George. Glad it all went well.
It's a great model isn't it 👍

Tobe certainly knows what he is doing eh!

Shaun.
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Very well done George, my hat off. It would interesting to hear more comments from you not least concern the DIY actuator and the Re-Coder. Have you flown GG before?

Cheers and all the best
Cheers,

Tobe
Bennett_g9@sky.com

Tobe, I flew G-G in my youth, 1970 was my last excursion I think. I was posted to Cyprus later that year and used some of my overseas allowance as it was then to buy a futaba 5 chan digital in the brushed alloy case. The one with the servos that had 5 wires!
I have now flown the Ghost, without any major problems. I think it's a bit overpowered with the 4 max motor I used, and as such needs a bit of down thrust.
Mods have been done and after release from tier 4, I hope to get out and fly it some more. I had quite forgotten how much fun Galloping Ghost modes are!!
I have just finished the wings for my Dave Boddington Ghost Rider, to be powered by an old OS 10FSR. The fuz build starts tomorrow after cutting out all the parts today.
Just as soon as I can get a video done I will post it on the forum.

Keep up the good work!!!
George
George B