Ghost Rider 38

Anything with a propeller
Pchristy

Re: Ghost Rider 38

Post by Pchristy »

I took it out again yesterday, to a field with shorter grass! There was also a stiff breeze blowing.

Without any extra packing, at full throttle it leapt off the ground like a scalded cat! At half throttle, it cruised around nicely, and had no problem penetrating the breeze.

The first shock came when I throttled back for landing! All control response disappeared, and it showed no inclination to respond at all! I had to apply power to turn it onto finals. The landing was "firm" but not hard, as I shut the throttle just before touchdown. This was a mistake!

I had another flight, and this time kept power on until the wheels were on the deck. This proved a much better approach, as even small amounts of power maintained controllability.

Lesson learned!

Now, I wonder if I can renovate my old Sharkface in time for Ponty....! :lol:

--
Pete
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Pete,
My Mayfly exhibits the same lack of response. It has pulse rudder with propo elevator and needs some prop draught to maintain any semblance of control on the rudder or a big field and a well planned landing circuit.

Shaun.
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

That is one of the down issues with small surfaces and it's not related to "flapping"
Prop wash or speed 🤔 is the cure.
In my designs I try to go as large I dare though and reduce the surfaces if I find it necessary.
Cheers,

Tobe
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Yes, I plan to enlarge the rudder. As mentioned it's not been a problem at Ponte but at my other club , smaller field and trees you need to keep the power on to have positive control.
Will probably use acetate extension so it looks the same as designed.

Shaun.
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

In the longer term, I intend to increase the size of the elevators at least. To do it properly, I'll need to remove the rudder too, so I'll wait until after Ponte (they are quite securely attached!).

On the plus side, there is very little "gallop", only really noticeable at full-up - which doesn't get used much!

--
Pete