Single Channel ‘jets’

Anything with a propeller
glyn

Single Channel ‘jets’

Post by glyn »

Hi
I’ve just finished a couple of ‘jets’ well swept wing models really. They’ve both flown a couple of times on propo whilst trimming out but they are rudder only with throttle on their electric motors. They are the Go Jet and Lightning from RCM&E circa 1970. They both flew well and seem very groovy. Early days but looking good so far. Both used Neil’s part kits (igull).

Cheers Glyn
CFA60A40-89F7-4308-BF0C-D89CAC9D6AA4.jpg
Martin

Re: Single Channel ‘jets’

Post by Martin »

Nice models and nice furniture!
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

Who's was the Go-Jet in Red Arrows colours at one of the Ponty do's? I'm sure there were a few good images of it somewhere?
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Hi Glyn, 'great to see you back! Lovely looking models, I look forward to seeing them at Ponte next year? :P ;)

Paul
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

GeeW wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 17:41 Who's was the Go-Jet in Red Arrows colours at one of the Ponty do's? I'm sure there were a few good images of it somewhere?
I've checked all my Ponty photos and I cant find it - however there was one at Buckminster, is this the one Gordon? Dunno whos it was... also, almost out of shot top-left, is that the tail of another Gio-Jet?

IMG_5074.JPG

Glyn, is yours the James Osbourne plan?
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=9748

Bearing in mind our niche interest, there's an amusing write-up about this plan and S/C flying in general:

Lightning - Sport scale model with tractor prop, for single channel RC.

Quote: "THE days of the button are over[1970 - Phil_G]; everyone is looking for a zippier performance. The era of the single channel model is on the decline we are told and a new breed of models dominates the skies. R /C enthusiasts everywhere are selling their cars and even cutting down on food in order to enjoy the thrills of proportional control.

This is progress and we must accept it, but has single channel (which has so much to offer for so little) been fully exploited? The average single channel man develops through various stages of proficiency until he finally flies one of the small highly manoeuv-rable machines like the Bazzbomb (oz3156). This then is the end of the road for him. He handles his model with precision: he anticipates its every move — everyone says he flies it just like multi. The moment of truth is at hand because like every good modeller our friend must progress. If he is content with his present equipment he will no doubt build his first scale model and live happily ever afterwards in his newly found biplane environment. These models we all know, provide that all essential challenge to spur us on. There is however an alternative to this valhalla that at the moment is relatively unexplored. I refer of course to the exciting and exotic jets of today.

Design Requirements for a Single Channel Semi-Scale Jet: The model must be simple, strong and easy to build, assemble and fly. All sheet construction is ideal. Models of 3 feet span are very successful as larger models are more vulnerable and smaller models have too high a wing loading. Undercarriages are not advised as weight must be kept to a minimum apart from which the rate of descent is slightly higher than that of an orthodox model. A tractor arrangement is best. Pushers are excellent but too heavy as all the fuselage has to be strengthened and they are difficult to launch.
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

Thank you,that's the bunny. I think it really looks good in that scheme. :)
The tail at the edge of the shot appears very similar like to a Shaun covering job?
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Very nice Glyn
I’d luv to have a go of that lightning on the button :lol:

Great to see you back on here

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
glyn

Post by glyn »

Hi Phil, Martin, Gordon and my old mate Paul, thanks for the nice words and I hope to make Ponte next year... sorry I missed last year but I was in transit,
The Lightning was from the James Osborne plan and was he the designer of the Wizard of Oz? There was no clue in the write up or the construction except they (the models) were slightly weird..

Nice to be back !
glyn

Post by glyn »

And Ron, of course you can have a go on the button it’s probably your button!!
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Nice job Glyn; what did you cover the Lightning in - film?

I have the Lightning currently in build for a future RCM&E plan feature. Neil sorted out the ribs a while ago but it's slipped a little on the list. I had planned to have it done by now.
What power system did you use in your lightening? We can have a fly by at next years Ponte do.....

Gary framed up a Go Jet for me last year (cheers pal). It was at Buckminster but I couldn't fly as I had a brain fart and forgot the Tx.. Basically just flew the Ghostrider 38 all day, flapping away like a "good un".
Go Jet has a great look in the air and is a quick robust build. The Lightening uses a surprising amount of 1/16" sheet for the wings but again is a very robust model. Osborne designed another one in the same vain the MIG 21 but in my opinion it's nowhere as appealing as the Lightning. Plan no RC 1083.

Cheers,

Shaun
Leon 3.JPG