Digispark kickstarter ATtiny85 & ICSP programming adapter

Arduino projects on the go
Phil_G

Digispark kickstarter ATtiny85 & ICSP programming adapter

Post by Phil_G »

Frank & I have been using this cheap & dependable ATtiny85 board for some time in various R/C projects, and as the Pro-Mini ICSP adapter was popular I thought I'd post my ATtiny85 adapter.

I've switched to the Digispark board where previously I've used the ICP07 Pic board, for the simple reason that the manufacturer has hiked the ICP07 price - they now cost three times as much as when I started using them in the RDT encoder, Tiny-6, Codamac, etc.

The ATtiny85 board comes with an inbuilt but unshrouded USB plug for simple USB programming via a special USB bootloader. This is bad with a capital B - the bootloader delay in this case is five full seconds! They come with 'blink' loaded (theres an LED on P1), and with the fuses set for 16mhz, but on power up, five seconds elapse (an eternity!) before blinking commences.
In any case theres little room in a Tiny85 to waste on unnecessary bootloaders!

I remove the redundant USB connector with a junior hacksaw, a couple of strokes of the permagrit block gets the edge of the board smooth, and then its programmed as usual using a USBASP via SPI.
Heres a before & after shot, with a PP3 for size reference - after the mod, they're really small, less than 3/4" square:

Digispark ATTiny85
Digispark ATTiny85

The internal pull-up resistors which are enabled when ports are configured using pinMode(buttonPin,INPUT_PULLUP); for example
have quite a high resistance compared to other chips (about 25k ohms) only so are only very weak pull-ups.
In the case of the Digispark board, P3 and P4 are the USB data connections, and both have some protection circuitry in the form of resistors & 3v6 zener diodes which the 25k internal pull-up cannot overcome. The result is that if P4 is configured as an input using say:
pinMode(4,INPUT_PULLUP);, when open-circuit, P4 will always read as a zero.
This affects only P4, P3 has an additional on-board pull-up resistor of 1.5k and so behaves as expected.

A further effect of this is that when used as analogue inputs, P3 and P4 are restricted to 3.6v max by the zener clamping diodes D1 & D2 - and the additional 1k pullup on P3 affects its linearity as an analogue input - see diagram. In the bottom two photos you can see how the unwanted protection circuitry can easily be removed, if required - physically remove the diode D1 with your thumb-nail, and D2 by pressing it sideways with a watchmakers screwdriver. The lead-free solder is very soft and they both break away quite easily with no need to cut tracks or drill PTH holes! This will remove all the USB protection circuitry around P3 and P4 and revert them to 'normal' ATTiny85 behaviour.

P1 has an on-board LED with a 1k resistor and whilst this doesnt affect its operation as an output, when configured as an input, obviously the resistor and led combination are working in opposition to the 25k pull-up and so needs to be taken into account. Its like the Nano's D13.

P5 is by default the chip reset input and needs a fuse reprogramming to change it to a digital I/O pin, after which, since its no longer a reset pin, the USBASP wont work and a high voltage programmer is subsequently necessary. So unless you're very keen, ignore P5 completely.

As supplied, P0 & P2 are the only 'clean' pins with nothing attached.

This is a great board, very handy for less complex projects, really cheap and so very small after sawing off the USB tab. It seems that some 'best practise' things are surfacing, these are just my own observations:

1) P0, P1 & P2 behave just as you would expect. P1 has the inbuilt LED so is handy as an indicator output like D13 on a larger Arduino.
If used as an input, the source should be low enough Z to overcome the LED/resistor combination.
2) P3 has an on-board 1.5k pull-up regardless of the pinMode setting you give it. Bear this in mind, its ideal as a 'button' input for example.
3) P4 will appear to ignore 'input_pullup' configuration and should be driven from a relatively strong source (Z less than say 10k) or used as an output
4) P5 is the reset pin, its not generally available as an I/O pin unless you do a fuse change and have a high-voltage programmer.
5) the USB bootloader is very clever but wastes 25% of the memory unnecessarily and takes a full 5 seconds before running your program. Ditch it!
6) ICSP works great with a USBASP using the adapter shown below, bypasses the troublesome bootloader and as you are not using
the USB tab it can be chopped off, leaving the board just under 3/4" square.
7) if the P3 & P4 weirdness is a concern, it can easily be resolved with a small mod as described here.

Full schematic of the Digispark board
Full schematic of the Digispark board

Remove D1 & D2 from USB connections
Remove D1 & D2 from USB connections

“De-fluffing” a DigiSpark:

As can be seen in the diagrams above, some of the DigiSpark pins have additional circuitry on the PCB which we need to remove as it affects the linearity when those pins are used for joystick inputs. Three pins are affected:

P1 has an LED with a series ballast resistor (R5) to ground, this distorts readings when used as an analogue input.
P3 has one of the two USB data connections and has a 1k5 pull-up resistor and a 3v6 zener diode (D1) to ground.
P4 has the other USB data connection and has a 3v6 zener diode (D2) to ground.

These components affect the linearity of the P1, P3 and P4 when used as analogue inputs and in the case of P3 and P4 actually limit the maximum voltage that can be read.

Luckily these unwanted additions are easily removed - but first to identify the culprits: (click to enlarge)

digispark_r3_d1.jpg

digispark_d2_led.jpg

Remove the marked components using a jewellers screwdriver, they should easily flick away, but a stubborn component can be gently ‘chiselled’ to break it up. Remove either one of the two components nearest P3, the LED or its ballast resistor – I always go for whichever has the least solder.

digispark_fluff.jpg

Again, I stress, this is really easy to do and takes seconds, in fact D1 and R3 can be liberated with just your thumbnail! The final 'de-fluffing' is to saw off the USB tab. Dont worry, there are no traces or connections there to worry about, it can safely be removed altogether, flush with the edge of the board.

Heres the programming adapter - just two headers on a length of vero for the chip and the usual 6-pin USBASP header:

Programming adapter
Programming adapter

I later added an extra header pin on the neg rail, so my PPM tester plugs onto neg & port P0 (ppm), and also a resistive ground-lead for testing button inputs. This means the programming adapter doubles as a simple tester:

Programming adapter
Programming adapter

The board is a loose fit over the headers of course so a small sponge block under the top-left corner wedges the board at an angle and secures the connections.

attiny85_3.jpg

One thing I have noticed is that although the clock speed is stable, its not precisely the same from one chip to another, at a nominal 16mhz some are very slightly over, some are very slightly under, but that hasnt been a problem as the variation is minimal and for anything 'timing critical' the clock can be tweaked in the software by setting 'OSCCAL'. Its because the RC clock is actually 4mhz multiplied up with a PLL
so any slight variations are multiplied four times.

Heres an RDT encoder made with this board (Remote Dethermalizer) for free-flight models, with a Futaba-style OrangeRx module for size:

Remote D/T encoder
Remote D/T encoder

Here is a Veroboard layout. Note that the USBASP header has cuts between adjacent holes, as does the 5v and 0v connector for the Attiny. The short blue link (negative) on the right and short red link (pos) on the far left can both be just a solder blob.

attiny85_kickstarter_icsp_adapter.jpg

Cheers
Phil

The term "De-fluffing" © Ceptimus 2019 :D
DaveL

Re: Digispark kickstarter ATtiny85 & ICSP programming adapter

Post by DaveL »

You might find these to be of interest - they're stackable pcb's for ATtiny85, developed for use in model rockets...
http://concretedog.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/
Martin

Post by Martin »

The Digispark bootloader that came in all the four variants I bought and tested is the so-called micronucleus 1.6 (AKA 1.06) you can find on GitHub.

There are newer better versions up to 2.04, but if you follow the normal methods on the web for making your Arduino IDE work with the Digispark, the newer versions of the bootloader aren't supported. There is a standard command line upload tool for 2.04: you can still compile in the Arduino IDE then drop to a command line to upload. You can integrate the newer uploader into the IDE but it's a bit of a fiddle.

I downloaded the source for both version 1.06 and 2.04 and recompiled it to give a bootloader that has a shorter (one second) delay at start up instead of five seconds. The 2.04 is also smaller (more room for your sketch) and reportedly more reliable, though I never saw a problem yet with the 1.06

I can upload the modified bootloaders if anyone wants them, but it seems fairly pointless - to install the bootloaders you need a programming device like a USBASP, and if you have one of those you're better off just using that and eliminating the bootloader entirely.
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Martin wrote: 13 Mar 2019, 11:58I can upload the modified bootloaders if anyone wants them, but it seems fairly pointless - to install the bootloaders you need a programming device like a USBASP, and if you have one of those you're better off just using that and eliminating the bootloader entirely.
Thats what I was trying to say Martin, the bootloader is unnecessary and wasteful, especially on the Tinys where memory & i/o are precious - and unlike the 328P you do recover the bootloader memory space simply by overwriting it :D

Anywho, a follow-up:
Phil_G wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 18:56P5 is by default the chip reset input and needs a fuse reprogramming to change it to a digital I/O pin, after which, since its no longer a reset pin, the USBASP wont work and a high voltage programmer is subsequently necessary. So unless you're very keen, ignore P5 completely.
Here's a cheap and easy-to-make fuse programmer, allows use of P5 on the DigiSpark board:
http://mode-zero.uk/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=643
fuseprog3.jpg
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

@Phil_G: I think there is an error in the veroboard layout in the opening post. Unless there is a variance in the pinout arrangement of the Digispark boards (I don't think so), the pins for the 5V and GND connections and the track cut in-between should be moved one position to the left.

Max.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

MaxZ wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 08:14 @Phil_G: I think there is an error in the veroboard layout in the opening post. Unless there is a variance in the pinout arrangement of the Digispark boards (I don't think so), the pins for the 5V and GND connections and the track cut in-between should be moved one position to the left.

Max.
Max, I'm not aware of any variance within the Digispark ATtiny85 boards (doesn't mean that there aren't any :( ), but there is a variance between the Digispark and some other manufacturer's ATtiny85 boards. See my post in thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=587&start=10#p4641
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

Wayne_H wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 14:01 but there is a variance between the Digispark and some other manufacturer's ATtiny85 boards.
So I see. But this topic is about the Digispark, so I guess my comment is valid....

Max.
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

My apologies Max, you are quite right. I have updated the vero layout diagram.
There is indeed "a variance in the pinout arrangement of the Digispark boards" - there is at least one non-standard variation of the DigiSpark board which has an onboard micro-usb shell, and that has the vin, ground and 5v pins offset towards the P1:5 edge, like the bottom board in the pic.

By chance my very first DigiSpark was this version and the vero layout was drawn accordingly. Since then I've bought maybe 200 DigiSparks of the original 'tabbed' style and the photos show the adapter correctly spaced for these boards (as does the vero layout now!)

The DigiSpark referred to throughout the post is the original 'usb tab' version from the original Kickstarter files, the one in the middle of the pic, and the one we're generally using now - but I'd forgotten that the vero layout drawing needed changing.

Img_20190705_211840_788.jpg

With other versions the headers might need shifting, depending on the particular board, some are standard, like the top one in this pic, and some are not, like the bottom one Image
The 'real' one (middle of the pic) has advantages - its smaller when trimmed, its easier to defluff and it has a 1A regulator so it can power for example a Flysky RF module. Hence its the board of choice Image
Again, my apologies and thanks for picking this up Max.
Cheers
Phil