New mystery model

Anything with a propeller
tiptipflyer

New mystery model

Post by tiptipflyer »

This time it´s not a new replica transmitter but a new model. My latest project build from scratch. It was one of the first R/C kits available here well over 60 years ago.
Can anybody identify it ?
I hope to finish it within the next two weeks. It will be flown on the button as intended and on reeds.
SAM_3773.JPG
SAM_3772.JPG
Cheers
Frank
Tobe

Re: New mystery model

Post by Tobe »

I would guess Graupner Electra....
Attachments
Electra.jpg
Cheers,

Tobe
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Yes Tobe, of course you are right.
Here on this forum al least 50% of the members would know it. In my club about 5 out of 300 would recognize this plane, that is less than 2%.
This plane was on my to-do-list for years. It will be electric powered with a Taifun dummy engine.
I dream to fly it sometime with my Bellaphon or Standard 30 transmitter.

Cheers
Frank
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Looks great Frank ;)

I shall follow this one with interest as I actually downloaded the plan for it late last year, having discovered it while searching through old Graupner designs.
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Frank...you are German and Graupner addicted so it was a safe guess!
My only Graupner kit I ever built was the Hi-Fly, lovely airplane but the building was like putting together a 1000 pcs. puzzle with immaculate instructions and if a piece didn't fit you were sure one of the pieces was not the right one and all this well before laser cutting! As I grew up in Italy the classic first trainer was the Taxi II and Amigo II. Here is a picture of my dad flying Graupner Cup in Gorizia, Italy 1963. Graupner used to have its own representative in Italy and his name was Schnabel if I remember correctly.
Attachments
img016.jpg
Cheers,

Tobe
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

The Electra is almost ready now. The maiden flight took place prior my holiday. It has now three test flights, but the rudder still needs improvement.
SAM_3786.JPG
SAM_3790.JPG
SAM_3791.JPG
Cheers
Frank
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

It looks a lovely model Frank but for Rudder control it doesn't appear to have much dihedral. If the rudder needs "improvement", I think you would get better Rudder response with more dihedral....... Is there any way you could increase the dihedral angle, perhaps by making slightly longer wing struts?

Paul
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Thanks Paul,
not the rudder response is the problem, but the yaw stability. I am thinking of adding more rudder area.
Also I noticed a slight warp in one of the wings, which I need to eliminate, which I will do first. The next flights, hopefully with less wind, will show.
Frank
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

This morning I did several test flights.
First I removed the warp out of the wing. Not much improvement.
Second I increased the dihedral. This makes it even worse. Very touchy to fly.
Third I increase the rudder area by about 50% and decreased the throw by 40%. Much improvement.
Fourth I removed the excess diheadral again to the inital value. Again more improvement.
Now the Electra is a nice model to fly and cruises lovely around.
The original fin has a very thick symetrical airfoil, I think a thinner airfoil with an area increased by 30 to 40% and a rudder increased by 40 to 50% with decreased throws would make the deal even better.

Cheers
Frank
Martin

Post by Martin »

Maybe you could add a small under-fin, like a tail skid, to add some extra side area at the rear without deviating too much from the "official" outline. You could use a piece of transparent plastic, so that it's almost invisible.