making angles

Shout here if you need any help!
Maybe you need a plan - just shout
Stew

making angles

Post by Stew »

Hi all.

Up until now I've dealt with maybe 1/4 inch strip at the most for my models, and I've guestimated the angles, hand fitting them as needed, but I'm going a little bigger soon and thinking I may need more accuracy.
What is best, some kind of shooting/mitre board, or a powered disc sander? I'd prefer to keep dust to a minimum.
Proxxon have some nice gear but rather pricey, although it will get quite bit of use I'm sure.

Stew.
GarydNB

Re: making angles

Post by GarydNB »

Try these, they used to be available from Amazon but somebody must stock them over here..

http://www.fourmostproducts.com/our-pro ... ion-tools/
Stew

Post by Stew »

Ah yes, I remember those being reccommended to me ages ago. I should have bought one when I had the chance...

Stew.
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

I have a Fourmost Mitre sander, and its...........ok.

It's not perfect by any means, and for me the main problem is that the sandpaper on the sliding black starts to peel back at the edges and it also loses it's abrasive properties quite quick (don't bother trying to sand spruce with it - it just polishes the end and wears the sandpaper out quicker). I've not found replacement 90 degree sliders this side of the pond, and getting shipped over from the US of States makes them silly money. In fact, I bought my mitre sander from a US trader and had it sent to an American colleague who was due to visit our European head office.

I've pretty much gone back to a razor saw and mitre box and then careful sanding - which usually leaves a slightly domed end.... <sigh>
Stew

Post by Stew »

Colonel Blink, I feel your pain...
I usually use a zona saw, followed by a sanding block, but then yup, it ends up a little domed, or too short and so on. Must be a better way methinks.

Stew